White team defeats Green team 14-11 in MSU football's annual Spring Game

Junior linebacker Chris Frey runs the ball as he is tackled by freshman linebacker Joe Bachie, 35, during the Green and White scrimmage on April 23, 2015 at Spartan Stadium. The White team defeated the Green team, 14-11.
Junior linebacker Chris Frey runs the ball as he is tackled by freshman linebacker Joe Bachie, 35, during the Green and White scrimmage on April 23, 2015 at Spartan Stadium. The White team defeated the Green team, 14-11. —
Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | and Sundeep Dhanjal The State News

MSU football’s annual Green-White Spring Game brought a record crowd of 51,000 fans to Spartan Stadium for the event, and they saw a White team led by junior quarterback Damion Terry come out victorious by a score of 14-11 on a sunny April afternoon.

Junior kicker Michael Geiger opened up the Spring Game scoring with a 42-yard field goal that split the uprights. However, the White team scored the only touchdown of the first half on a two-yard touchdown run by Delton Williams. The drive was led by freshman quarterback Messiah deWeaver and fifth-year senior running back Nick Tompkins, who carried the ball four times for 28 yards on that drive.

Green Team had an opportunity to take the lead, but the drive sputtered inside the five yard line, and a stop by the White defense on a fake field goal preserved their 7-3 lead at halftime. Green team quarterback Tyler O’Connor finished 10-16 with 138 yards and a touchdown.

The White team’s first drive of the second half went 10 plays for 52 yards, resulting in a touchdown run from three yards out by quarterback Damion Terry. The drive extended the White team’s lead to 14-3, and Terry converted two fourth down passes to keep the drive alive, including a 23 yard strike to senior tight end Josiah Price to set up first and goal. Price finished the day with three receptions for 41 yards, while Terry went 6-12 for 70 yards and a touchdown run.

Green team took no time responding, as O’Connor led a four play, 70 yard drive in 44 seconds, capped off by a 13-yard touchdown pass to freshman Cam Chambers. A two-point conversion cut the lead to 14-11 for the White team. O’Connor found fifth-year senior Matt Macksood on a 22 yard pass and proceeded to scamper for 27 more yards, setting up his touchdown throw to Chambers.

The White team had a balanced ground attack, carrying the ball 24 times as a team for 65 yards, led by Tompkins 28 yards. The Green Team, despite having a dual threat of sophomore Gerald Holmes and Madre London, only recorded 61 yards on the ground led by O’Connor with four carries for 28 yards.

Defensively, linebacker Andrew Dowell and his brother, safety David Dowell led the way for the White team. David Dowell sealed the game for the White team with an interception off Brian Lewerke with just over one minute to play in the game, which had a running clock in the fourth quarter. Andrew Dowell finished with five tackles, one sack and one pass break up. David Dowell ended with a game high six tackles and an interception.

The Green team was led by safety Montae Nicholson with six tackles and junior linebacker Jon Reschke, who had five tackles, three of which were solo tackles. 

MSU football's next home game will be the season opener on September 2nd against Furman. 

Share and discuss “White team defeats Green team 14-11 in MSU football's annual Spring Game” on social media.