NFL draft first round headlines: Conklin to Titans, Cook not selected

<p>Senior quarterback Connor Cook low fives junior offensive tackle Jack Conklin during the game against Ohio State on Nov. 21, 2015 at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 17-14.</p>

Senior quarterback Connor Cook low fives junior offensive tackle Jack Conklin during the game against Ohio State on Nov. 21, 2015 at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 17-14.

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

For the third straight year, MSU has had one of their football players go in the first round of the NFL Draft. Offensive lineman Jack Conklin was chosen No. 8 overall by the Tennessee Titans.

The former walk-on declared early for the draft, forgoing his senior season in order to be eligible.

Conklin was named an All-American and to the All-Big Ten team by coaches and media in 2015. The 6-foot-6, 325 pound Conklin was projected to go in the first round for months now.

The Titans were a part of numerous trades regarding the NFL Draft after trading the No. 1 overall pick earlier in the off-season. On draft day, the Titans orchestrated another trade with the Cleveland Browns in order to draft Conklin eight overall. 

Conklin is the third straight Spartan to be taken in the first round in three years under head coach Mark Dantonio. Cornerbacks Darqueze Dennard and Trae Waynes were first round picks in 2014 and 2015, respectively.

One notable omission from the first round of this year's draft was quarterback Connor Cook. The winningest quarterback in MSU history was not selected by a team. Three quarterbacks were picked ahead of him, including the No. 1 and No. 2 overall picks.

Numerous other Spartans look to the later rounds of the draft to continue their football careers. Notable Spartans include captains defensive end Shilique Calhoun, offensive lineman Jack Allen, and linebacker Darien Harris. The 2015 Big Ten Receiver of the Year Aaron Burbridge will also be waiting for his name to be called among others.

The three-day event will continue April 29 at 7 p.m. featuring rounds two and three on ESPN.

Share and discuss “NFL draft first round headlines: Conklin to Titans, Cook not selected ” on social media.