Saturday, May 4, 2024

Landlords and student activists lobbying for change of E.L. housing ordinance

A nearly two decade-old East Lansing city ordinance has landlords and student advocates lobbying for change.

Ordinance 900, introduced in 1997, forbids landlords from making structural changes to student-oriented noncomforming rental housing, according to documentation from the city government entitled "Single-Family Residential Dwellings with Nonconforming Uses." Currently, the ordinance affects 55 percent of East Lansing’s rental homes

East Lansing housing and university relations administrator Annette Irwin said the ordinance was an effort by the city of East Lansing to stem the growth of student-oriented rental properties in traditionally family neighborhoods.

“It was meant to stabilize the neighborhoods," she said. 

Some students are upset by the the ordinance's perceived segregating effect that keeps students out of East Lansing’s neighborhoods.

“You hurt the culture of your city when you segregate people by age,” urban and regional planning senior Sarah Wallace said. 

Most of the banned additions revolve around structural changes, such as replacing undesirable basement bedrooms with new, above ground sleeping spaces, Brian Hagan, rental agent for East Lansing’s Hagan Realty, said. 

By banning these additions, Hagan said the city creates unequal housing opportunities for students and long term residents.

“Why would the city take a position that prevents students, or whoever is renting the properties, from having the nicest homes possible?” Hagan said. 

Hagan said the ordinance has been a source of costly confusion for his company. Between 1997 and 2011, Hagan’s company added second stories to 15 of their properties with city approval.

In 2011, Hagan said a reinterpretation of the ordinance forbade his company from leasing these student-oriented homes to non-family groups of more than two people.

“What they are saying is almost comical, they are saying permits were issued in error,” he said. 

Irwin said, however, Hagan’s recollection of a reinterpretation might be incorrect. She added nothing changed in 2011.

Irwin said some permits were issued in error and should not have happened. She also said debates over residential zoning are common in college towns. 

“I think in most college towns you’ll find a discussion on how to combine the different lifestyles in way that makes for nice, dynamic communities," Irwin said. 

Share and discuss “Landlords and student activists lobbying for change of E.L. housing ordinance ” on social media.