Dame Zaha Hadid, architect of Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum, dies at 65

Dame Zaha Hadid, a world-renowned architect, died after a heart attack on Thursday in Miami, Fla. She was 65.

Hadid is known in the MSU community for designing the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum, which opened in 2012.

"Her vision was pretty incredible for this building," director of public relations for the Broad Whitney Stoepel-Brewer said. "We were really sad to hear about her passing." 

The museum appears in Zack Snyder's latest film "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice."

"The Broad is really an incredible landmark here in East Lansing," Stoepel-Brewer said. "It's become a one of a kind place for artists to create."

Hadid, a Baghdad native, was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2012. She was also the first woman to win the Pritzker Architecture Prize.

Her futuristic style was prominent in her many works. Her most famous designs include the Heydar Aliyev Cultural Center in Azerbaijan, the London Aquatics Centre and the MAXXI: Italian National Museum of 21st Century Arts in Rome.

"Zaha Hadid was a master of her craft and we are really sad to see her go," Stoepel-Brewer said.

Share and discuss “Dame Zaha Hadid, architect of Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum, dies at 65” on social media.