Denzel Valentine named one of four finalists for Naismith Trophy

Senior guard Denzel Valentine shoots the ball during the second half of the game against Wisconsin on Feb.18, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Badgers, 69-54.
Senior guard Denzel Valentine shoots the ball during the second half of the game against Wisconsin on Feb.18, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Badgers, 69-54. —
Photo by Alice Kole | and Alice Kole The State News

Despite MSU falling in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Middle Tennessee, it was announced Sunday that senior guard Denzel Valentine is one of four finalists for the Naismith Trophy.

The Naismith Trophy has been awarded to the best player in college basketball each season since 1969. No MSU player has ever won the award. MSU's standout guard Earvin "Magic" Johnson was edged out in 1979 by Indiana State forward Larry Bird and Draymond Green lost to Kentucky big man Anthony Davis after being named a finalist.  

Valentine has had a historic season averaging 19.2 points, 7.5 rebounds and 7.8 assists per game this season and becoming the first player ever to average 19 points seven rebounds and seven assists since the NCAA began counting assists as an official statistic in 1983-84.

Valentine also became the first player in MSU and Big Ten history to total 1,300 career points, 700 career rebounds and 500 career assists. Valentine finished his career with 1,645 points, 856 rebounds and 639 assists through his four years.

The other contestants include Oklahoma senior guard Buddy Hield with 25.0 ppg and 5.6 rpg, Kentucky sophomore guard Tyler Ulis with 17.0 ppg, 7.1 apg and 3.1 rpg and Virginia senior guard Malcolm Brogdon with 18.5 ppg and 4.0 rpg.

Share and discuss “Denzel Valentine named one of four finalists for Naismith Trophy” on social media.