Former Spartan Mateen Cleaves charged with sexual assault

A warrant for the arrest of former MSU basketball star Mateen Cleaves was issued Tuesday for alleged sexual assault claims that happened in October 2015, in Genesee County, Michigan, according to a CBS Detroit report.

Cleaves, 39, is being charged with unlawful imprisonment, assault with intent to commit criminal sexual penetration, second-degree criminal sexual content and two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a statement Cleaves allegedly held a woman in a motel in West Grand Blanc against her will, proceeding to sexually assault her. These events occurred after a charity golf outing in September 2015. 

Cleaves, former star of the 2000 NCAA Champion MSU basketball team, started working at Fox Sports Detroit in 2010 after retiring from the NBA in 2009. It is unclear whether Cleaves is still an employee for Fox Sports Detroit. He was selected No. 14 in the 2000 draft to the Detroit Pistons.

The prosecutor's office has stated that Cleaves is expected to turn himself in Thursday at a Genessee County Courthouse. 

Follow The State News for more information regarding Mateen Cleaves' charges and arrest. 

Share and discuss “Former Spartan Mateen Cleaves charged with sexual assault ” on social media.