MSU men's basketball seniors look to go out on top against U-M

Sophomore forward Matt Costello grabs a rebound during the game against Michigan on Feb. 23,  2014, at Crisler Center in Ann Arbor, Mich. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 79-70. Danyelle Morrow/The State News
Sophomore forward Matt Costello grabs a rebound during the game against Michigan on Feb. 23, 2014, at Crisler Center in Ann Arbor, Mich. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 79-70. Danyelle Morrow/The State News —
Photo by Danyelle Morrow | and Danyelle Morrow The State News

And with Saturday’s basketball contest between No. 10 MSU (19-4, 6-4 Big Ten) and unranked U-M (17-6, 7-3 Big Ten) being this season’s only meeting between the two teams, it’s all the more important — especially for seniors and Michigan natives Denzel Valentine, Matt Costello and Bryn Forbes.

“I’m going to put all the pressure I can put on them,” MSU head coach Tom Izzo said. “If they can’t handle it, then they’re not tough enough. You want to have a winning record against your rival. That’s number one. You’d like to leave the place you go to school so you can brag and talk for 50 years. ... So what is the game? Is it important to a senior? If it’s not, their seniors and our seniors are in trouble.”

Izzo doesn’t have to worry, though. His players know the importance of this game — Valentine and Costello the most of all, who head into Saturday’s game with a 4-3 record against the Wolverines.

They know the record, too, and they’re hoping to go out with a winning record against their rival.

“It’s going to be huge,” said Valentine, a native of Lansing whose father, Carlton, played for MSU in the late 1980s. “Last time we get to play my rivals. I think me and Matt’s record is 4-3 and I don’t want to end my career being tied with them, so got to be one up against them at least so I can talk some smack later down the road. But it’s going to be huge and I can’t wait to play.”

Costello, who hails from Linwood, has learned a lot about the rivalry between U-M and MSU during his four years as a Spartan basketball player. Of the things he said he’s learned is the rivalry is far more than just for show.

“It’s more than fandom,” Costello said. “I think some rivalries, people just hype up for good PR and stuff but it’s literally the whole state is divided. In Lansing and East Lansing ... it’s Michigan State fans, but if you go anywhere there’s Michigan and Michigan State. But there’s always a conversation going on, which school is better and stuff. It’s a very neat thing. It’s one of the best rivalries in the country and I’m just happy to be a part of it.”

Lansing native Forbes grew up watching the rivalry with his family, cheering for the Spartans. And after transferring back home from Cleveland State a year ago he was able to take part in the game for the first time himself.

“The energy was crazy,” Forbes said. “The atmosphere was amazing. You know, it’s one of the best rivalries in sports so I loved being a part of it.”

But as the three senior Michigan natives take to the court in Ann Arbor on Saturday to face their rival one last time, it’ll all boil down to one thing — going out on top.

“It’s the last go-around,” Costello said. “I’m really excited to be playing them again. It’s always fun to talk about your Michigan record with all the other (Spartans) that had come through before, so we’ve got to get this win.”

Share and discuss “MSU men's basketball seniors look to go out on top against U-M” on social media.