Valley Court Park might get ice rink, DDA hopes

The Downtown Management Board, Downtown Development Authority, city staff and residents of East Lansing have spent the last year discussing the possibility of adding a seasonal ice rink for East Lansing residents to use, according to a press release.

The letter stated the rink will be managed by city staff and volunteers will be placed in Valley Court Park. The potential rink would open Feb. 11 to Feb. 25 and be free for the public to use with open skating times from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.

However, the installation of the new 40 ft by 60 ft rink, which could accommodate up to 40 skaters at one time, is hinging upon donations from downtown businesses and the general public of East Lansing.

As of Dec. 28, $3,500 has been raised, but the groups are still seeking an additional $1,700 which must be raised by Jan. 15. Without the additional $1,700, the rink will not be installed. According to the letter, the successful installation of the rink would “continue to draw young families, young professionals, and community members of all ages in Downtown East Lansing to skate, eat, and shop.”

Those looking to donate are asked to donate by check, cash or credit card. Any and all donors will be acknowledged on a future City of East Lansing Ice Skating Rink website. Donors donating $200 and upwards of $200 will have a donor banner placed in the ice rink. All donations are tax deductible.

Any questions about the rink are to be directed to Amy Schlusler, the City of East Lansing’s Planning, Building, and Development at (517) 319-6931 or at dmbcoordinator@cityofeastlansing.com.

Share and discuss “Valley Court Park might get ice rink, DDA hopes” on social media.