EL city manager names new police chief

East Lansing City Manager George Lahanas announced Jeff Murphy will serve as the new chief of the East Lansing Police Department.

Chief Murphy has been acting as the interim chief for the past six months of the the department and previously served as deputy chief. He has been with the ELPD force since 1987.

"I'm honored to serve the citizens of East Lansing in this new capacity," Chief Murphy said in a press release. "It's a tremendous responsibility and one I take very seriously. I'm also honored to continue to serve alongside the hard-working and dedicated officers who make up the East Lansing Police Department,"

During his time with the force, Chief Murphy has received several promotions. Among them include supervisor of the ELPD night force, accident team, Conflict Management Team, East Lansing Jail, Special Response Team, K9 Unit, Crime Scene Investigation Unit and the Detective Bureau.

He has worked his way up from a sergeant in 1998 to a captain in July 2012 before becoming deputy and later interim chief.

He holds a bachelor's degree in public administration from Central Michigan University.

The official swearing-in ceremony will be held on Jan. 14 at 2:30 p.m. in the departments Emergency Operations Center.

Share and discuss “EL city manager names new police chief” on social media.