8 MSU football recruits enroll early, look to make impact in years to come

MSU football had six recruits enroll early this spring, bettering their chances of understanding the system before the 2016 season. Let's meet these freshman studs.

Donnie Corley

Corley, standing at approximately 6-foot-3, weighing 185 pounds, was one of the top recruits out of Michigan and one of the top wide receiver prospects in the country. Corley, who caught one pass for 39 yards in the 2016 Army All-American Bowl for the West team, which won 37-9, had 1,403 yards receiving and 16 touchdowns, while also recording 90 tackles and 10 interceptions playing both sides of the ball. He committed to MSU during a press conference after the game. Corley is expected to immediately help fill the gap at wide receiver that departing seniors Aaron Burbridge and Macgarrett Kings Jr. have left behind.

“Your greatest strength are the guys next to you, so by them being good and me being good, we can just help each other out and make each other better,” Corley said. “Coming early, they are all like me, and I think that has helped a lot.”

Cameron Chambers

Chambers, a 6-foot-1, 203-pound wide receiver, could break into the rotation at wideout right away for MSU. Chambers also competed in the Army All-American Bowl alongside his future teammate Corley, reeling in five catches for 36 yards to lead the East team in receptions. Chambers was an all-state selection in New Jersey for three years, and ranks second in South Jersey history with 164 receptions and 2,939 career receiving yards. It may be difficult for Chambers to earn playing time with the addition of Corley, but the talented Chambers figures to be up to the task.

“I’m finally here, finally can get the chance to go ahead and start the process,” Chambers said. “I have the chance to do everything I planned on wanting to do for the past couple years. Now I’m just trying to do the best I can and hopefully be on the field.”

Messiah deWeaver

DeWeaver, a four star quarterback, won’t see the field next season, but could easily develop into MSU’s next quarterback star. He led his high school to their state championship game, and was the top-rated quarterback prospect out of Ohio. He threw for 7,660 yards and 90 touchdowns with a record of 49-9 as a starter in high school. DeWeaver also enrolled early with wide receivers and potential future top targets Corley and Chambers.

“We are taking baby steps right now, we have got a lot of time to learn the ins and outs,” deWeaver said. “We are just going to take a basic approach trying to lead into it, so right now I’m just taking baby steps. Once we start in February it will be a lot different.

Kenney Lyke

Lyke, a 6-foot-2, 178-pound safety from Illinois, was one of two Spartan recruits at the safety position, along with Cass Technical High School product Demetric Vance. Lyke committed to the Spartans in May and took two unofficial visits before deciding to enroll early. Lyke, who recorded 68 tackles and one interception his senior year, and Vance could be the future starting safeties for MSU, but Lyke knows that there is a lot of work to do before that dream becomes a reality.

“I expect to work hard, just about working hard and giving everything 100 percent,” Lyke said. “I definitely think coming in early is an advantage to get accustomed to everything going on. Going through spring ball I will get my chances and just go from there.”

Thiyo Lukusa

Lukusa is a 6-foot-5, 300-pound offensive tackle from New Jersey who brings raw potential to the Spartans. The physical attributes are already there for Lukusa and, with the proper development under MSU offensive line coach Mark Staten, could become a force on the offensive line for MSU. Staten has notably turned low-star recruits, such as Jack Conklin and Jack Allen, into projected NFL draft prospects. And hopefully, he can do the same for Lukusa.

“He’s a great teacher, and I can’t wait to learn from him,” Lukusa said. “Obviously it would be awesome to be able to play in the NFL, but right now I’m just thinking about what I can do at Michigan State and how I can hopefully help the team here. When that time comes for me, whenever it is, I think I will definitely have a lot to credit to him.”

Joe Bachie

Bachie is a 6-foot-2, 225-pound inside linebacker from Cleveland, Ohio originally committed to Western Michigan, but after an unofficial visit to MSU and an offer from the program, Bachie committed to the Spartans that same day. Like Lukusa, he brings the toughness and physical attributes necessary to succeed, and will work with defensive coordinators Harlon Barnett and Mike Tressel, as well as returning veteran linebackers Ed Davis and Riley Bullough, to develop his game.

“It’s truly special for me, because I’m able to look up to someone like Riley, who has been doing great the last two years,” Bachie said. “I’m just looking to feed off him and the energy he brings, and he’s a leader on the team so that’s someone I can look up to.”

Mufi Hunt

Hunt is a 6'6, 215 pound defensive end from Utah, and was originally set to join MSU this past season before deciding to go on a mission trip, which was cut short due to a knee injury. Hunt recorded 12 sacks and 73 tackles, 16.5 of which for loss, in his senior season at Taylorsville High School in 2014. He is quick for his size and is expected to compete with incoming recruits Josh King and Auston Robertson for minutes on the defensive line. Nevertheless, Hunt is grateful to be here.

"For me, I just feel so blessed to be apart of this team," Hunt said. "It's like you have a really pretty girlfriend and you feel like you don't deserve her, it's kind of like that. I just feel like God has blessed me with something great."

Bradley Robinson

Robinson played multiple positions on the offensive and defensive line at Troy Athens high school, but was recruited to MSU as a long snapper. He will look to replace the graduating Taybor Pepper at the position, and as a walk-on, could see immediate playing time.

Share and discuss “8 MSU football recruits enroll early, look to make impact in years to come” on social media.