Gov. Snyder declares Friday 'Spartan Green Day'

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder, a self-professed fan of MSU Football and a graduate of U-M, used his legislative power to declare Friday, Dec. 4 'Spartan Green Day' in honor of the No. 5 MSU football team.

The proclamation, drafted akin to a legislative proposal, summarizes the success of the 2015 MSU football team and urges citizens throughout Michigan to wear green in support of the team.

MSU graduate and Lt. Gov. Brian Calley presented the proclamation to head coach Mark Dantonio and the team in East Lansing earlier this week.

The proclamation comes in advance of the Big Ten championship game held this Saturday in Indianapolis, where the Spartans will take on the No. 4 Iowa Hawkeyes.

The proclamation highlighted Dantonio's leadership as "legendary" and recognized the Spartans football program for displaying "the utmost commitment to the game, their school and their fans" during the past century.

"NOW, THEREFORE, I, Rick Snyder, governor of Michigan, do hereby proclaim Friday, December 4, 2015 as Spartan Green Day in Michigan," the proclamation said.

Share and discuss “Gov. Snyder declares Friday 'Spartan Green Day'” on social media.