New STI on the rise in college-aged adults

Two MSU faculty members said a sexually transmitted infection, originally discovered in the 1980s, has recently been on the rise. 

Cindy Arvidson, an associate professor in the Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, said Mycoplasma genitalium is a very treatable infection. 

“The symptoms of an infection with Mycoplasma genitalium can vary from nonexistent to symptoms similar to those of chlamydia or gonorrhea, both of which are also frequently asymptomatic, especially in women,” Arvidson said.

Although this sexual transmitted infection is not deadly, it can be associated with some pesky infections.

“Like chlamydia and gonorrhea, Mycoplasma genitalium can be associated with pelvic inflammatory disease,” Arvidson said. “Clinicals suspect Mycoplasma genitalium usually when a woman with cervicitis or a man with urethritis tests negative for both chlamydia and gonorrhea, or when such patients have recurring symptoms following treatment.”

Arvidson said minorities and people from ages 15 to 24-years-old have the highest rates of infection for Mycoplasma genitalium.

“Mycoplasma genitalium is very hard to culture and there are not many tests available,” Arvidson said.

Marketing and communications manager of MSU Student Health Services Kathi Braunlich said Mycoplasma genitalium is a cause of nongonococcal urethritis, or inflammation of the urethra, in men.

“In general, it is thought to affect approximately one percent of the population,” Braunlich said. “Prevalence is higher among those at high risk for other STIs.”

In order to treat this infection, Arvidson recommended an antibiotic.

“Treatment guidelines are to use the antibiotic azithromycin for seven days,” Arvidson said. “However, azithromycin resistance is increasing.”

Share and discuss “New STI on the rise in college-aged adults” on social media.