FINAL: No. 7 MSU stunned by Nebraska, 39-38

<p>Nebraska cornerback Joshua Kalu tackles Michigan State wide receiver Aaron Burbridge during the Husker's 39-38 win against Michigan State at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Neb., Nov. 7, 2015.</p>

Nebraska cornerback Joshua Kalu tackles Michigan State wide receiver Aaron Burbridge during the Husker's 39-38 win against Michigan State at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Neb., Nov. 7, 2015.

Photo by James Wooldridge/The Daily Nebra | The State News

MSU was upset by Nebraska, 39-38, on a touchdown which was reviewed for a force-out. The referees ruled the receiver was indeed forced-out and came back inbounds to catch the ball for a touchdown.

MSU got the ball back with 17 seconds remaining in the game, but was unable to score. MSU drops to 8-1 on the season and Nebraska advances to 4-6.

Senior quarterback Connor Cook broke two records on the night, as he surpassed Kirk Cousins for career touchdown passes with 68 and threw for 300 yards for the fourth consecutive game. Cook finished 23-for-37 with 335 yards, four touchdowns and one interception.

The Spartans’ receivers took advantage of their opportunities to get yards after the catch. Senior wide receiver Aaron Burbridge finished with 10 catches for 164 yards and one touchdown and senior wide receiver Macgarrett Kings Jr. finished with four catches for 97 yards and two touchdowns.

Nebraska, which failed to rush for 100 yards in each of its previous two games, saw much success on the ground and rushed for 179 yards against the Spartans.

The Huskers began the second half by quickly taking the lead away from the Spartans. A 43-yard pass from junior quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. to junior wide receiver Alonzo Moore brought the Cornhuskers to the MSU goal line and they ran it in one play later, making the score 20-17.

The Spartans, however, would answer right back with a touchdown of their own. Cook passed for 33-yards to Burbridge who ran it in for the score. MSU would go up, 24-20, with 9:13 remaining in the third quarter.

The game’s next score would come seven minutes later, when the Spartans’ junior tight end Jamal Lyles caught a 16-yard touchdown pass from Cook. The scoring drive put the Spartans up 31-20 and lasted 4:19 on 10-plays and 83 yards.

Nebraska’s rushing attack would then open up for a scoring opportunity. With 13:06 remaining in the game, the Cornhuskers ran it in from two-yards out, but failed to get the two-point conversion, making the score 31-26, MSU.

The Spartans would put together a long drive, though, as a 8:50, 16-play and 75-yard drive was capped off by a one-yard rushing touchdown by sophomore running back Gerald Holmes. The score put the Spartans up 38-26 with 4:16 remaining in the game.

The Cornhuskers put together a late-game drive, scoring a touchdown with 1:47 remaining, bringing the score to 38-33, but their ensuing onside kick attempt was unsuccessful. Nebraska then had the ball at its own nine-yard line with 55 seconds remaining and drove the length of the field to score the game winning touchdown and take the game, 39-38.

The Spartans will play Maryland (2-7) at home next week.

Share and discuss “FINAL: No. 7 MSU stunned by Nebraska, 39-38” on social media.