MSU students voice concerns about racism on campus to administrators

Today, MSU administrators, including President Lou Anna K. Simon and Vice President for Student Affairs and Services Dr. Denise Maybank, held a dialogue with students to address concerns about campus racism which have arisen amid the protests growing at the University of Missouri.

Black students at the University of Missouri began protesting after Jonathan Butler, a student activist, started a hunger strike with the goal of removing then president Tim Wolfe from office. Wolfe resigned when black members of the football team joined in the subsequent boycott, refusing to play until he was ousted. The reaction towards Wolfe comes in wake of several alleged instances of racist actions on Mizzou’s campus, which students claim has led to an atmosphere where they feel unwelcome.

"I feel like I am one of the protesters at Mizzou."

“I feel like I am one of the protesters at Mizzou,” Danielle El-Amin, a political theory and constitutional democracy junior and president of the W.E.B. Du Bois Student Society said. “Their issues, their fight, everything that they go through is everything that I go through at MSU."

MSU students called for the creation of an African American studies department, citing it as the only doctoral path that does not already have one, the dedication of a building to Black Student Alliance and a ‘safe space’ for black students, an end to racial profiling and selective enforcement by campus police, more funding for existing diversity programs and for the hiring of more black faculty.

“MSU prides itself on being this diverse place, all of these different colors and creeds, you get this diverse experience… you truly do not get that in the classroom or in your education,” El-Amin said.

President Simon responded to students with support, but said she could not guarantee anything. 

“(When) I look at the long course of history, these are issues we must work on every day, and we must have evolving solutions,” President Simon said. “That’s what we’re committed to doing. I can’t guarantee you anything.”

Students in the room were mostly unsatisfied with the administration’s responses, discussing potentially occupying the room to continue to have their voices heard. AJ Rice, an African American studies graduate student stood and criticized Simon at the end of the dialogue for lack of action, saying just constantly having a “discussion” about these issues won’t change anything.

“Invest in a department, invest in faculty, something that changes, something that brings about institutional change,” Rice said to President Simon. “You’re not trying to do that, you’re trying to dictate to us, and students are telling you what they want.”

Rice said he strongly advocates for more black faculty and the creation of a department of African American & African studies.

"What will solve (these issues) is action by students."

“What will solve (these issues) is action by students,” Rice said. “One of the things that we know that history has always taught us, is that it’s students from all different colors and walks of life have been important partners in these kind of changes."

Dr. Maybank told students today would not be the only day for voicing concerns and that it isn't the end of discussions on racism at MSU. 

“It is not just that today is the (only) day, and it will not (be) the end all and be all associated with the topic and the concerns,” Dr. Maybank said to the students.

Following the dialogue, students marched down Grand River Avenue to The Rock, which was painted last night in support of Mizzou, and held a rally.

“Hopefully MSU doesn’t have to get the point where we are calling for the resignation of President Simon, but I can look around and I see our student body, and I recognize in myself and other student activists on campus, we are willing to take it there if need be," El-Amin said. "If MSU needs to become the next Mizzou, then we have no problem taking those next steps."

A similar dialogue will be held next Friday from 3:30 to 5 p.m. in McDonel Kiva. President Simon and Dr. Maybank will again attend to address students.

Share and discuss “MSU students voice concerns about racism on campus to administrators” on social media.