MSU Police's annual crime log shows a decrease in reported crimes

<p>Data for MSU police's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report.</p>

Data for MSU police's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report.

Crime on MSU's campus, compared to 2013 to 2014, has declined slightly, according to an annual report released by MSU police on Thursday. 

Though crime did not decline in every category, liquor and drug arrests did.

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act makes university police forces not only have to keep a daily crime log of all reports, but also requires them to compile the data in an annual report to be released no later than Oct. 1. 

In 2013, MSU police reported 719 liquor law arrests and 1,492 disciplinary referrals for on-campus, including campus residential facilities, while for 2014 they reported only 684 arrests and 1,214 referrals.

In terms of sexual assault, the Department of Education, beginning in 2015 changes the way sexual assaults are tracked, now separating forcible and non-forcible sex offenses. In 2013, MSU police reported 27 forcible sex offenses. In 2014, MSU police reported 13 cases of rape and eight cases of fondling, totaling 21 on campus. Stalking decreased from 56 to 32. 

Burglaries on-campus stayed close to level, with 120 in 2013 and 124 in 2014. From the data in 2012, only 77 were reported.

Motor vehicle thefts saw a large downtick, with 64 reported in 2013 and only 18 reported in 2014. The report includes a caveat in that moped-style vehicles are included in the data.

What might be surprising about the report is the utter lack of criminal activity in any of MSU's locations outside of the main campus, including Grand Rapids, Troy, Detroit and the Macomb University Center. Besides one domestic violence case in Grand Rapids, not a single other crime was reported in any of those locations for the last three years.

Hate crimes still are reported in somewhat large numbers on campus, including 23 burglaries in a campus residential facility all characterized by race bias, another on-campus intimidation offense characterized by sexual orientation bias and one incident of destruction, damage, or vandalism of property in a campus residential facility characterized by sexual orientation bias.

The report also details fires on MSU's campus, totaling six in 2014. Bailey and McDonel residence halls each had two fires. The fires in Bailey Hall were arson and a trash can in a bathroom set aflame. McDonel Hall faced an electrical fire in a kitchen freezer unit and improper discarding of smoking materials. This increased from 2013, when four fires were reported.

Share and discuss “MSU Police's annual crime log shows a decrease in reported crimes ” on social media.