Board of Trustees votes to upgrade various buildings and facilities

MSU's Board of Trustees met Friday to discuss various items from facility to policy updates.

Here are three takeaways from the meeting which show us what's to come in the MSU administration:

1. MSU's Board of Trustees voted on several upgrades to MSU buildings and facilities including Music Practice Building, Commuter Parking Lot 89, Hubbard Hall and most notably, the Breslin Center.

Commuter Parking Lot 89 will be getting updated to reconstruct the southeast section in preparation for the solar array construction in the near future.

The Music Practice Building will be getting new windows and Hubbard Hall will upgrade old exterior facility parts.

The $50 million project for the Breslin Center will begin construction in Jan. 2016. The updates to bathrooms and concourse will make the building more modern since its opening in 1989. 

The board also authorized to begin planning on the Food Processing and Innovation Center that will be located off-campus.

2. MSU voted in accordance with the OCR agreement to eliminate the Anti-Discrimination Judicial Board.

The board has not overseen a case in over 9 years. The OCR agreement also had changes made to the Anti-Discrimination Policy.

OCR suggested MSU remove the Anti-Discrimination Judicial Board to avoid confusion on the issue.

3. The number one request on the board's Capital Outlay was authorization to plan new STEM instructional spaces and labs.

82 percent of instructional spaces and 71 percent of laboratory spaces on MSU's campus are 40 plus years old.

President Lou Anna K. Simon said, "We have to have more and more active learning spaces."

The board discussed the importance of keeping MSU educational facilities up to date to further student's opportunity.

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees votes to upgrade various buildings and facilities ” on social media.