Sunday, May 5, 2024

Michigan Dreamers lead the fight for tuition equality

<p>Michigan Dreamers for Tuition Equality logo, courtesy.&nbsp;</p>

Michigan Dreamers for Tuition Equality logo, courtesy. 

While many university students are wishing tuition was free, others are working just to earn the right to pay in-state tuition.

The Michigan Dreamers for Tuition Equality is an organization aimed at providing undocumented high school students in Michigan the opportunity to pay in-state tuition at public universities and colleges. 

"It is almost impossible to pay for higher education when they [Dreamers] come from low income families. Moreover, having to pay out-of-state tuition makes it worse," Michigan Dreamers organizer, Josue Moises said. "In other words allowing undocumented students to pay in-state fees helps them tremendously."

Dreamers are undocumented students that live in the U.S. without proper authorization. They enter the country as children with their parents and grow up attending the same public schools as every other student in Michigan, however, when it comes time to apply for college they are not given the same benefits. 

These students did not have an option on whether or not to immigrate to this country, so they believe they should be given the same treatment as their documented classmates.

Endy Lopez Gonzalez, a student at Oakland Community College, is an example of what the Michigan Dreamers program can do for students. 

"I didn't think I would be able to properly attend school as a full-time student and was constantly worried I may never be able to receive a college degree like I intended to due to high cost," Gonzalez said.  

Gonzalez came to this nation with his parents at the age of three, crossing the border legally but overstaying their tourist visas for the greater safety and opportunity that is present in America.  

"Thanks to them [Michigan Dreamers] I am now currently a student at OCC with plans of transferring to a four-year school."

Undocumented students are not only forced to pay out-of-state or international tuition fees, but they are also denied the opportunity to apply for any financial aid.  

Universities are given the choice as to allowing undocumented students to pay in-state tuition, and many of them have made the choice to do so, including Lake Superior State University, Ferris State University and Western Michigan University. 

In terms of whether or not MSU will eventually allow undocumented students in-state tuition, Moises said, "We are currently starting to have a conversation regarding this issue with Oakland University and Michigan State University."

Moises said the Dreamers' long term goals include passing legislation to provide in-state tuition and financial aid for undocumented students, as well as requiring professional development for high school personnel to increase the understanding of educational optional available for Dreamers. 

"In-state tuition would be a dream to a lot of bright kids who want nothing but the opportunity to attend colleges like Michigan State University," Gonzalez said.

Share and discuss “Michigan Dreamers lead the fight for tuition equality” on social media.