MSU fraternity holding philanthropy event for Ele's Place

Lambda Chi Alpha will be holding their second annual Junior 500 Philanthropy Week benefiting Ele's Place today at The Rock on Farm Lane at 4 p.m. 

Ele's Place is a local Lansing organization that provides counseling to grieving children and teens who have lost a parent or preparing to lose a parent.

Kyle Cocozzo, accounting junior and philanthropy chair of Lambda Chi Alpha, said they are hoping to raise more awareness for Ele's Place through their event.

“The ultimate purpose of the event is to raise a substantial amount an awareness for Ele’s place,” Cocozzo said. “Ele’s place is a grievance center, where kids can talk to counselors about losing a parent, or about preparing to lose a parent.”

Cocozzo said this is the second year in a row the event will be taking place.

“It was around in the 50's, but it kinda stopped,'  Cocozzo said. "We were able to bring it back last year, we raised about $15,000 and donated $12,000 to Ele’s place — the remaining $3,000 covered our expenses for the parade carts, we needed the money to cover the cost of the floats, because we don’t have our own budget to cover it.”

Cocozzo said they had a great turnout last year with many different members of the community in attendance and are hoping to repeat their success. 

“Every MSU sorority attended and around 700 people total came out to support the cause last year,” Cocozzo said. “We want to exceed our total last year and raise over $20,000. We, Lambda Chi Alpha, were the only fraternity here at MSU to participate in the Homecoming parade this past weekend, and did so to help promote this event.”

Lambda Chi Alpha is hosting other events throughout the week as a part of the Junior 500 Philanthropy Week, a list of their events can be found here

Share and discuss “MSU fraternity holding philanthropy event for Ele's Place” on social media.