Izzone campout brings excitement to students, players and Izzo

For 17 years, students in the MSU's basketball student section, the Izzone, have spent the night outside on Munn Field. The Izzone Campout continued to be a success, with this year being no exception.

This year’s campout was filled with activities for the students, starting with mentalist Sean Bott, inflatable obstacle courses and a visit from coach Tom Izzo and the men's basketball team to interact with students who attended to cap off the night.

“It’s a ton of fun," journalism sophomore Laura Bohannon said. "I got to meet coach Izzo and a lot of the basketball players last year. They’re going to be awesome this season, actually I’m really looking forward to it, it looks like our team is going to be pretty stacked in terms of depth and I’m just really excited to see how it goes and how it turns out.”

The basketball team especially gets into it, including the seniors, who went all-out Friday and were crowd surfing by the end of the night.

Senior guard Denzel Valentine was adamant in telling the fans how he felt.

“I just wanted to say thank you to all you guys, it’s been an amazing four years,” Valentine said. “Every time I come to the court, to Breslin, you guys are giving us the motivation to play. It’s always fun interacting with you guys, you know, putting out and getting hype with you guys so our plan this year is to not lose a game at home.”

And it wouldn’t be a true Izzone Campout without a few words from the man himself. Coach Izzo also the emphasized the importance of what the fans meant to his team and why it’s important to make memories while you still can.

“I’ve got a great group of guys behind me, and they have worked as hard as any team I’ve coached in my 20 years here and I mean that sincerely," Izzo said, “We always talk about memories. I hope tonight becomes a memory maker for you, something that you remember when you leave here and when you go on. This is the 17th year we’ve been out here out of the 20 I’ve been here and we’re going to keep it going a long, long time from now, so you’re part of a great tradition.”

Share and discuss “Izzone campout brings excitement to students, players and Izzo” on social media.