What to expect from police come football Saturday

More information can be found at https://www.msu.edu/celebrations/

The revelry on football Saturdays can be legendary, especially for drunk tailgaters and gung-ho sports fans.

However, the other side of the campus-wide party comes safety, a consideration not often taken into account by the hoards of people in green and white.

That’s for the police, emergency responders and campus safety organizations to take care of.

Arrests usually increase during home games, many of them being alcohol-related, although MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said typically the crimes committed on campus during game day are to be expected when so many people are on campus at once.

East Lansing had eight reported unarmed robberies on Sept. 14, 2013 the day of the football game against Youngstown State.

Officials expect nearly 80,000 in Spartan Stadium with 25,000 more expected to be tailgating on Saturday.

Different officers will be assigned to different areas with varying responsibilities, including an alcohol team.

“We’ll have officers that are walking to make certain that people are abiding by the rules and regulations, making certain that people are safe,” Taylor said.

MSU police radically increases its presence on campus with every officer working, having partnered in the past with the East Lansing Police Department, the Michigan State Police and the Ingham County Sheriff’s Department.

They also do their best to inform the East Lansing and campus community, letting them know things like when the game starts and how to be safe. MSU police also works with the Special Events Unit and student volunteers.

Taylor said people should have patience with event security especially because it is a night game with a number of student employees.

“We want everybody to have a good time, we just want everybody to abide by the rules and regulations,” Taylor said.

Students in south neighborhood will also see bolstered security measures, including restricting Holden, Case, Wonders and Wilson halls to residents with their MSU ID, RHS health and safety coordinator Joe Petroff said.

Students will have to swipe in to enter those buildings.

Because the MSU vs. University of Oregon game is a night game, changes to dining services won’t be altered as they would for a day game.

“Normal service hours at campus dining locations will remain unchanged, with the exception of Brody Square dining service and Brody Sparty’s, which will stay open until 1 a.m,” he said.

Share and discuss “What to expect from police come football Saturday ” on social media.