East Lansing residents will now be able to recycle cereal boxes, lawn chairs and more

<p>The city of East Lansing's new recycling truck sits in its garage. The truck is a fully automated hydraulic hybrid. It is expected to consume 35-50 percent less fuel than a standard recycling truck.</p>

The city of East Lansing's new recycling truck sits in its garage. The truck is a fully automated hydraulic hybrid. It is expected to consume 35-50 percent less fuel than a standard recycling truck.

A new recycling program will be rolling out in early October for residents of East Lansing which will enable people to recycle things such as cereal boxes, juice cartons, lawn chairs, scrap metal and other new items.

Thanks to a $125,000 grant from the Recycling Partnership and matching funds from the city, residents can expect to receive a new, 96 gallon recycling cart the week of Sept. 28 with collection beginning the week of Oct. 5 for some and the week of Oct. 12 for others.

The city's goal, according to its website, is to make curbside recycling as convenient as possible for residents. 

As part of the recycling cart transition, the city of has purchased a new, fully automated hydraulic hybrid recycling truck, which is the first of its kind in Michigan. A hybrid by design, the truck utilizes two forms of energy; its first source originates from the diesel engine, while the second source is derived from brake energy.

The truck is expected to consume 35 to 50 percent less fuel than a standard recycling truck and the city expects to see emissions lowered by as much as 48 tons in one year.

Share and discuss “East Lansing residents will now be able to recycle cereal boxes, lawn chairs and more” on social media.