FINAL: Michigan State beats Oregon, 31-28

<p>The surprise back of the MSU ground game trio carried the load for much of the season, logging a team leading 699 yards rushing on 146 carries and 11 rushing touchdowns. Highly touted out of high school, he became the physical runner of the Spartan backfield used for tough ground-it-out situations and saw a lot of action near the goal lines. </p><p>He seems slightly ahead to earn the starting role, but certainly will split carries with Madre London and Gerald Holmes, both smaller and considered quicker backs.</p>

The surprise back of the MSU ground game trio carried the load for much of the season, logging a team leading 699 yards rushing on 146 carries and 11 rushing touchdowns. Highly touted out of high school, he became the physical runner of the Spartan backfield used for tough ground-it-out situations and saw a lot of action near the goal lines.

He seems slightly ahead to earn the starting role, but certainly will split carries with Madre London and Gerald Holmes, both smaller and considered quicker backs.

Photo by Alice Kole | The State News

Welcome to the MSU v. Oregon live coverage feed. Follow along for live updates and insider access as the No. 5-ranked Spartans take on the No. 7-ranked Ducks.

FINAL

No. 5-ranked MSU defeated No. 7-ranked Oregon 31-28 Saturday night in East Lansing in front of 76, 526 people.

The Ducks got things going early with a 13-play 75-yard drive capped off by a two-yard touchdown run by sophomore running back Royce Freeman.

MSU would not trail for long as the Spartans answered quickly with a touchdown drive of their own.

A three-play 75-yard drive, highlighted by a 62-yard run by sophomore running back Madre London and capped off by a 12-yard touchdown pass from senior quarterback Connor Cook to junior tight end Josiah Price, made it 7-7.

MSU took advantage of an interception by sophomore safety Montae Nicholson with a six-play 30-yard touchdown drive.

The touchdown came on a 17-yard pass from Cook to senior wide receiver Aaron Burbridge, giving the Spartans a 14-7 lead.

Oregon answered at the beginning of the third after after a MSU punt, Ducks junior wide reciever Bralon Addison took an 81-yard punt return to the house to tie things up.

MSU answered on the very next drive, moving the ball 75 yards in 11 plays. The drive was capped off with a six-yard touchdown run from freshman running back LJ Scott. Scott's TD gave MSU a 21-14 lead.

After an Oregon punt, the Spartans added to their lead with a 12-play 59-yard drive that ended with a field goal and a 24-14 MSU lead.

On the very next drive the Ducks brought back to within three with a 12-play 78-yard touchdown drive. Senior quarterback Vernon Adams punched it in with two-yard sneak up the middle to make it 21-24.

The Spartans answered Oregon's touchdown with another touchdown. Scott capped off a three-play 65-yard drive with a 38-yard touchdown run. Scott's second touchdown of the night gave MSU a 31-21 lead.

The next drive saw the Spartans defense make a key stop on fourth down to force a turnover after the Ducks had already converted on one fourth down attempt earlier in the drive.

After MSU failed to do anything with the ball, Oregon went on a 9-play 80-yard touchdown drive, capped off by a 9-yard touchdown pass from Adams to senior wide receiver Byron Marshall making it 28-31.

A three and out from MSU gave Oregon a chance to take the lead or win, but a huge stop around midfield on fourth and 17 secured the win for the Spartans. 

MSU ran the clock out on the following drive, giving the Spartans a huge win early in the season.

Live Blog MSU v. Oregon live coverage feed

Share and discuss “FINAL: Michigan State beats Oregon, 31-28” on social media.