MSU football team makes statement in 31-28 victory over Oregon

After the MSU football team's 31-28 win over Oregon on Saturday night, Dantonio said the experience of having previously played the Ducks and the home environment were worth three points — the margin of victory.

“I think last year was new territory for us," Dantonio said. "We were going to Oregon coming off of a Rose Bowl. Not a perfect game by any stretch, but we kept on playing.”

In a game where the MSU defense allowed 432 yards, Dantonio said fourth down stops were keys in the victory.

“Come up with two big stops, one on the goal line and one at midfield. Really three big stops,” Dantonio said.

Dantonio also praised the play of senior quarterback Connor Cook, senior wide receivers Aaron Burbridge and Macgarrett Kings Jr. and junior wide receiver R.J. Shelton.

Cook finished the game with 20 completions on 32 attempts, 192 passing yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

Burbridge had eight receptions for 101 yards and a touchdown and Kings had six receptions for 48 yards.

The key factor blind to statistics, however, was the play of the Spartans’ offensive line. Cook had ample time to throw all game and was never sacked.

“The o-line played exceptional keeping me protected and making big holes for the running backs,” Cook said.

Senior center Jack Allen was a major part of the offensive line's exceptional play. Allen said he had been thinking about what it would be like to walk off the field today with a with since Thursday.

“I would say this is probably one of the best feelings in the world,” Allen said.

The running backs, redshirt-freshman Madre London and freshman L.J. Scott, combined for 179 yards rushing and Scott had two touchdowns.

“I thought they played extremely well with big plays,” Dantonio said.

A negative take-away for the Spartans, however, was the special teams repeat of poor coverage. For the second straight week, the MSU opponent had a return touchdown.

Dantonio did not hamper on the subject and acknowledged that mistakes will happen.

As for Oregon’s performance, Dantonio and Cook were quick to point out that the Ducks have great playmakers and played a good game.

The Duck’s quarterback, transfer Vernon Adams Jr., finished the game with 22 completions on 39 attempts, 309 passing yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.

Adams Jr. was under pressure nearly all game and never seemed to be comfortable in the pocket. The Spartans were able to sack Adams Jr. four times and hurry him six times.

The Ducks sophomore running back Royce Freeman had 24 carries for 92 yards and one touchdown. For a player of his caliber, the Spartans’ defensive line held him to a reasonable margin and their push in the trenches was a large factor in the game.

Share and discuss “MSU football team makes statement in 31-28 victory over Oregon” on social media.