Monday, May 20, 2024

University of Detroit Jesuit point guard Cassius Winston commits to MSU basketball

<p>Head coach Tom Izzo points to fans April 3, 2015, during the practice at NCAA tournament in the final four round at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana. Spartans practice in preparation for their game against Duke University. Hannah Levy/The State News.</p>

Head coach Tom Izzo points to fans April 3, 2015, during the practice at NCAA tournament in the final four round at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana. Spartans practice in preparation for their game against Duke University. Hannah Levy/The State News.

MSU Basketball fans can be fired up about this one. Tom Izzo and MSU Basketball just gained another high profile recruit, giving them three of ESPN’s top 50 2016 recruits.

Today at around 2:30 p.m. University of Detroit-Jesuit high school point guard Cassius Winston announced his commitment to MSU Basketball’s 2016 recruiting class. Earlier this month Winston had narrowed down his choices to MSU, Pittsburgh, and Stanford.

The 6-foot-1 Winston, surrounded by friends, family, media, and the raucous student body of U-D Jesuit at a prep rally, announced his decision by pulling out a white hat adorned with the MSU Spartan logo. His decision was met with loud cheering and overwhelming support from those in attendance. The point guard from Detroit is ranked 29th among ESPN’s 2016 Top 100 recruits.

Winston has helped U-D Jesuit to back-to-back state semifinals and averaged 24.2 points, 5.8 rebounds, and 7.2 assists this past season. 

Winston now joins Tom Izzo’s already strong 2016 recruiting class. Already committed to the 2016 class is No. 17 overall recruit shooting guard Josh Langford from Huntsville, AL and No. 39 overall recruit center Nick Ward from Gahanna, OH. 

Share and discuss “University of Detroit Jesuit point guard Cassius Winston commits to MSU basketball ” on social media.