Monday, March 18, 2024

Several major construction projects await action from East Lansing City Council

East Lansing City Council will likely take action on a major construction project at its July 7 meeting at city hall. The project, if approved, will take place at 1301 and 1307 E. Grand River Ave. and 116-132 Spartan Ave., the site of the old Tasty Twist, and and includes a 6-story mixed-use building with parking and commercial use on the first floor and five-floors of residential use above according to council's agenda.

Council also has a public hearing on the agenda for a project that if approved will take place at 1350 W. Lake Lansing Road and includes the construction of a one-story credit union with four drive-thru lanes. Action is expected from council on this item as well.

A project that would re-purpose the old Taco Bell building on Grand River Avenue into a five-story mixed-used building with commercial space on the first floor and a mix of one-, two-three-, and four- bedroom apartments on the upper floors is also set for public hearing on Tuesday. Action is not expected from council as the the applicant is requesting council not take action until council takes action on the Brownfield Plan. This is according to a memorandum from Darcy Schmitt, planning and zoning administrator for the city. 

Council will also hold a special work session at 6 p.m. before the council meeting in order to discuss a lease agreement with the Capital Area Housing Partnership for the Bailey Community Center, which is a time-sensitive matter according to Megan Clark, assistant to the city manager. Council will also be discussing a pre-development agreement with DTN Management Company for the Park District at the work session.

The special work session was added due to the time sensitiveness of the lease agreement according to Clark. It will take the place of the regularly scheduled work session meeting which was scheduled for July 21. This means the only time council will meet during the month of July is at the work session and council meeting Tuesday. 

Share and discuss “Several major construction projects await action from East Lansing City Council ” on social media.