Sunday, September 22, 2024

Keith Appling signs with the Orlando Magic

<p>Head coach Tom Izzo laughs with former MSU guard Keith Appling at the end of the game against Iowa on March 6, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Hawkeyes 86-76. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Head coach Tom Izzo laughs with former MSU guard Keith Appling at the end of the game against Iowa on March 6, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Hawkeyes 86-76. Julia Nagy/The State News

Former MSU basketball star Keith Appling has inked a two-year partially guaranteed contract with the Orlando Magic of the NBA, news outlets reported Monday.

The 6-foot-1 guard and graduate of Detroit Pershing High School played four years at MSU and finished his career with 1,509 points, 465 assists and 151 steals. Appling was on his way to an All-Big Ten caliber season his senior year at MSU in 2014, before a wrist injury half way through the year sullied those chances, as Appling would eventually go on to be undrafted in the 2014 NBA Draft.

After going undrafted, Appling played for the Los Angeles Lakers in parts of two preseason games before being cut at the tail end of the 2014-15 preseason.

Appling spent the 2014-15 season for the NBA D-League's Los Angeles D-Fenders and Erie BayHawks, averaging 17.5 points per game during the last 10 games of the regular season.

In the 2015 NBA Summer League, Appling averaged 15.6 points and 3 assists in five games for the Orlando Magic, thus earning himself the two year deal.

Share and discuss “Keith Appling signs with the Orlando Magic ” on social media.