Candidates finalized for fall E.L. City Council election

Seven candidates have filed to run for three vacancies on the East Lansing Council this fall. Only one incumbent is seeking reelection — East Lansing Mayor Nathan Triplett — while council members Kathleen Boyle and Diane Goddeeris will not be seeking reelection.

The candidates are as follows. Candidates have until 4 p.m. on Friday to withdrawal.

Nathan Triplett

Triplett has served as mayor of East Lansing since November of 2013. Prior to that, Triplett was elected as mayor pro tem in November 2011 and was first elected to East Lansing City Council in November 2007. Triplett is a 2006 graduate of MSU with a bachelor of arts in political theory & bachelor of arts in social relations. He graduated form the MSU College of Law in 2012.

Mark Meadows

Meadows previously served on the council from 1995-2006 before serving three terms in the state House. In 2012, Meadows lost to Andrea Larking in a bid for a seat on the 54B District Court.

Erik Altmann

Altmann is an MSU professor who teaches large undergraduate classes in introductory psychology as well as graduate seminars at MSU. He lives in the Bailey Neighborhood of East Lansing and feels being both a resident and a professor at MSU gives him a unique perspective on East Lansing.

Shanna Draheim

Draheim has served for seven years on the East Lansing Commission on the Environment and has been active in the community throughout. She fell in love with East Lansing and MSU during her undergrad years where she graduated with a bachelor's degree in public policy.

John Revitte

Revitte is an MSU Professor Emeritus of Work, Leisure and Labor Studies and was connected to the School of Human Resources and Labor Relations. Revitte is a 1972 graduate of the University of Michigan and came to MSU in 1977 after receiving a master of science in labor studies in 1976. From July 2004 through June 2013, he served as MSU's Faculty Grievance Official (FGO) and then became an FGO Emeritus.

Steve Ross

Ross has worked in the background of several major elections, and now is starting a campaign of his own. Ross announced his candidacy for East Lansing City Council in April. He graduated from MSU in 2008 with a degree in political science and during his time as a student, volunteered on the election campaigns of John Kerry and Barack Obama. After graduation, Ross moved to Washington, D.C., to work as part of the White House Travel Office.

Jermaine Ruffin

Ruffin is a 2007 graduate of James Madison College at MSU and has lived in East Lansing for 15 years. He graduated with a degree in social relations and policy after transferring to MSU from Lansing Community College.

Share and discuss “Candidates finalized for fall E.L. City Council election” on social media.