MSU Track & Field finishes strong season with showing at NCAA Championships

<p>Senior Leah O'Connor (right) and junior Katie Landwehr compete in the steeplechase competition at the Big Ten Conference Championships May 16, 2015 at Ralph Young Field. Wyatt Giangrande/ State News</p>

Senior Leah O'Connor (right) and junior Katie Landwehr compete in the steeplechase competition at the Big Ten Conference Championships May 16, 2015 at Ralph Young Field. Wyatt Giangrande/ State News

Four first team All-Americans at the 2015 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships highlighted the conclusion of one of the most successful years in history for the MSU Cross Country and Track programs. 

The four individuals recognized as All-Americans for placing in the top eight in their respective events included a fourth place finish by Antonio James in the discus, a fifth place finish by sophomore Tim Ehrhardt in the decathlon, a fifth place finish by senior Tori Franklin in the triple jump and a third place finish by senior Leah O’Connor  in the 3,000 meter steeplechase. 

It was a banner year for the Spartans, beginning with Women’s Cross Country team in the fall, which finished the 2014 undefeated on their way to the program’s first ever national championship. 

The successful year continued into track season, as numerous indoor school records were smashed. Among those who blazed their way into the record books was O’Connor, who won the national title in the mile in the second fastest time in NCAA women’s history — 4:27.18. 

Outdoor season was all the more prestigious, as the MSU Women’s Track and Field team came away victorious at the 2015 Big Ten Outdoor Track and Field Championships on their home track at Ralph Young Field in East Lansing. Led by an uncanny performance by O’Connor — who won the 1,500, 5,000 and the 3,000 meter steeplechase — it was a total team effort as the women won their first title since 1982. 

“It’s hard to say,” MSU Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Walt Drenth said of what he was feeling at the time of the victory. “We had a vision for them at the end. I told them I wanted them to just see what they are at their best. I said, ‘let the outcome be the outcome.’ They’ve learned and grown all year and to see this ... it was a total team effort and it was just a blast.” 

To cap the successful season off, MSU sent 13 individuals to the national championship meet, where the four first team All-American records were recognized. And as for O’Connor, who finished third and wasn’t able to defend her 2014 title in the steeplechase, she still says everything the program has been able to accomplish this past year is amazing. 

“The way that this just ended and how tough I was and how the race went; it was all perfect,” O’Connor told msuspartans.com. “Cross country started things in an amazing way. I was on a team with some relentless powerful women. We accomplished a goal that seemed hefty at times.”

Share and discuss “MSU Track & Field finishes strong season with showing at NCAA Championships” on social media.