Lansing Roller Derby team aims to build community through sport

The Lansing Mitten Mavens Roller Derby took an unexpected victory against the Bath City Roller Girls on Saturday night.

The score of the game between Lansing Mitten Mavens Roller Derby and Bath City Roller Girls ended up 237 to 111.

Ali Jahr, president of Lansing Mitten Mavens Roller Derby and MSU alumna, said they were ranked relatively lower than the other team in Michigan.

“Definitely we were not expecting to win this game,” said Danielle Barnes, vice president of Lansing Mitten Mavens Roller Derby and MSU alumna. “So it’s good feeling to come away from that.”

For audiences who haven’t watched a roller skate game like this, Easton Rapids resident Deb Carmody said, “It’s pretty interesting.”

Besides training for games, the team also has done various volunteering for the community.

“Besides providing a unique entertainment ... we do a lot for the community,” Jahr said.

Joining the team enriches the members’ experiences on sports, social services and self-developments, she said.

“I think this sport is a confidence builder,” Barnes said. “It’s really inclusive.” 

Open recruitment takes place two times a year.

“This is really good way to bring people together from the community,” Barnes said. “It really helps them grow.”

Share and discuss “Lansing Roller Derby team aims to build community through sport” on social media.