Spartans vs. Zombies inspires glee in participants

Watch out for hungry zombies next week as students participate in MSU’s Spartans vs. Zombies.

Aside from running away from zombies between classes, there are organized missions every night, Russian and international relations sophomore Aaron Rozin said. Rozin is one of the four administrators of the game.

Recent MSU grad Nick Goldblatt said the game is social, fun, and enjoyable regardless of what side you’re on.

Biochemistry junior Joe Bemister agrees both sides have their strengths, but he prefers playing as a human, and invites everyone to participate in the fun.

“You’re basically nerding out with a bunch of people, it’s awesome,” Bemister said.

“It gets people from all over campus together for an entire week,” Goldblatt said, “you meet a lot of new people, you get a lot of exercise, [and you] explore parts of campus that you wouldn’t normally go to.”

Goldblatt said he isn’t playing this year, but he enjoys being human because of the paranoia. 

“If you’re going to class, you’re looking over your shoulder, and…you have a NERF blaster, and…you’re almost trigger-happy,” Goldblatt said. 

Goldblatt said he prefers to use sock grenades in his defense against zombies, while Bemister prefers his straight–shooting five shooter. 

Both Goldblatt and Bemister have participated multiple times, and they’ve played as a zombie and a human.

“The fear you put in the resistance members' eyes… all of a sudden… they get swarmed and surrounded by a bunch of zombies and they’re just on their heels… that’s really the best thing,” Bemister said of being a zombie.

Bemister is joining the resistance this year, but Goldblatt choose to participate as a moderator. Moderators wear blue bandanas and often help out with the nightly missions, Goldblatt said, adding that moderators act as referees.

“I thought, after playing three times, ‘You know what, I’m gonna help run this for people’,” Goldblatt said.

Rozin describes the game as tag with NERF guns, where the zombies are always it, and if a human gets tagged, they turn.

The teams differentiate with bandanas, zombies wear a bandana around their head and humans wear one on their arm, Goldblatt said.

If someone’s bandana is around their neck, they are either a stunned zombie or a transitioning human, Rozin said, adding that zombies are stunned for 10 minutes and it takes humans one hour to transition into zombies.

Spartans vs. Zombies will be held from April 13 to April 18, and students can sign up at spartanvszombies.com up until April 13, Goldblatt said.

Share and discuss “Spartans vs. Zombies inspires glee in participants” on social media.