A history of MSU baseball games at Comerica Park

<p>Then-redshirt freshman infielder Alex Rapanos, left, and then sophomore left fielder Cam Gibson watch the game from the dugout May 13, 2014, at Comerica Park in Detroit. The Chippewas defeated the Spartans, 7-4. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Then-redshirt freshman infielder Alex Rapanos, left, and then sophomore left fielder Cam Gibson watch the game from the dugout May 13, 2014, at Comerica Park in Detroit. The Chippewas defeated the Spartans, 7-4. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

MSU has a history of playing games at Comerica Park, but usually it has been a part of a series called “Clash at Comerica,” which was an annual event put on by Central Michigan. This season, MSU’s games at Comerica expanded to include their arch-rival Michigan. MSU and U-M will do battle Tuesday with their annual game against CMU to take place the next day.

Here is a history of how MSU has done in the home of the Detroit Tigers.

Central Michigan 7, MSU 4

CMU used a a six-run eighth inning to propel themselves ahead of the Spartans and take the only game between the two in Detroit during the 2014 season.

(Postponed)

MSU was set to face CMU again in Detroit, but after five innings the game was suspended because of some inclement weather in the area. The game was resumed in Mt. Pleasant that May with CMU getting the win.

MSU 5, Central Michigan 2

This was the last time MSU was able to win at Comerica Park, because the Spartans rode the performance of Mick VanVossen, who is now a senior pitcher for MSU. After giving up a run in the first inning, VanVossen was able to retire 10 in a row and 13 out of 14 at one point.

MSU 3, Central Michigan 1

In the first collegiate game at Comerica Park, MSU was able to top CMU 3-1 behind a strong pitching performance from a team that almost won the Big Ten championship. After scoring all their runs in the first inning, Andrew Waszak was able to shut down the Chippewas.

Share and discuss “A history of MSU baseball games at Comerica Park” on social media.