Chance the Rapper coming to MSU Tuesday

The process of getting Chance to MSU this Tuesday involved “a lot of politics and a lot of red tape,” said marketing senior and Director of Special Events of the MSU Residence Hall Association Russell James.

James said that he knew he wanted Chance to perform after the fallout that emerged following the cancellation of the Wiz Khalifa concert earlier this year.

After reviewing a survey that he sent to students regarding what artists they wanted to see perform, James said it was “a no brainer” to pursue Chance.

Chance has been steadily gaining notoriety following the release of his mixtape Acid Rap in April 2013. He comes to MSU after appearing with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis in 2013.

Pursuing Chance turned out to be quite the challenge, and between working with the university, negotiating contracts and making arrangements with Chance’s management the process has taken months of hard work from James.

“It’s definitely a process when you’re working with an institution as big as Michigan State and then also Chance the Rapper’s agency, and so that’s hectic in its own right,” James said.

However, it appears that all of James’ work was not put to waste, despite difficulties with advertising caused by an inability to finalize guest act Hoodie Allen’s contract until fairly recently. James said he expects the show to be very successful.

Following this announcement of Hoodie Allen, the hype surrounding the show has continued to grow.

Arts and humanities sophomore Jassadi Moore spotted an advertisement in the dining hall for the concert and immediately jumped at the chance to purchase tickets. She said she was elated when she discovered Chance would be performing at MSU.

“I initially saw the advertisements in the caf on the little inserts on the tables and I was so excited to see his face on it,” she said.

Share and discuss “Chance the Rapper coming to MSU Tuesday” on social media.