Tom Izzo expresses admiration for Rick Pitino

<p>Head coach Tom Izzo listens to a question March 28, 2015, during a press conference at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York. The Spartans will play Louisville tomorrow night in the Elite Eight to determine who will go on to play in the final four. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Head coach Tom Izzo listens to a question March 28, 2015, during a press conference at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York. The Spartans will play Louisville tomorrow night in the Elite Eight to determine who will go on to play in the final four. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

Syracuse, N.Y. — If there are tiers when ranking the great coaches in college basketball, Tom Izzo and Rick Pitino would be near the top. 

In his 29 years of coaching, a tenure that includes stops at Boston, Providence, Kentucky and Louisville, Pitino has won two National Championships and reached seven Final Fours. 

Izzo isn't too far behind, winning one National Championship and six Final Four trips in his 20 years at MSU. 

Few predicted MSU and Louisville would make it to the Elite Eight this year, and it's fitting that both programs will face each other tomorrow at 2:20 p.m in the Carrier Dome. 

"Sure as hell is fitting for me and I'm sure for him," Izzo said. "I'm sure there's other coaches that don't think it's too fitting. I think it is. I think we both kind of came through similar kind of years and in different ways but similar."

Izzo expressed admiration for Pitino during his press conference on Saturday, crediting his passion for the game as a reason for Louisville's success since Pitino took the reigns of the program in 2001.

"His teams always play hard," Izzo said. "He has so much passion and energy watching from the sideline, and he's living every shot. He's trying to — if he gets out on the floor tomorrow and traps one of them, because he's been close, I'm going to protest that. Other than that, I love what he does. I love his energy. I love his enthusiasm. I love his passion. It's easy to see. 

It's not because he wears it on his sleeve. It's beyond that. For a guy who's done it at different levels and different schools, I haven't done that. That's why I do have great respect for Rick." 

Pitino reflected on his battles with Izzo, with the two programs last meeting in 2012 when Louisville eliminated the Spartans in the Sweet 16 round.

"I've coached against so many great coaches that I've admired, and Tom Izzo is in a class with all of them because of the way they run their programs and the way they care for their players," Pitino said. "So I'm honored to be playing Michigan State and what they represent, but I don't think you look down the sidelines and say anything except the game's not going to end with a Tom Izzo team until the last possession. You know that. They're not going to give in. They're not going to cave."

Share and discuss “Tom Izzo expresses admiration for Rick Pitino ” on social media.