UPDATE: Campus gas leak has been repaired

<p>Firefighters arrive Mar. 18, 2015 at the Veterinary Medicine Center on 736 Wilson Rd. A natural gas leak was confirmed.</p>

Firefighters arrive Mar. 18, 2015 at the Veterinary Medicine Center on 736 Wilson Rd. A natural gas leak was confirmed.

UPDATE: The gas line responsible for the natural gas leak Wednesday afternoon at the Cyclotron construction site has been repaired and normal operations in the surrounding area have resumed, according to an MSU Alert released shortly after midnight Thursday.

The alert did not specify the exact time the repair was completed and the leak stopped.

The natural gas leak at the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory construction site that prompted an evacuation of the site and closure of nearby sections of Wilson Road and Bogue Street was caused by a worker accidentally striking a main gas line while drilling pilings for a support structure, according to an MSU police statement.

Wilson Road, from Farm Lane to Bogue Street, and northbound Bogue Street from Service Road still remain closed. Pedestrians are advised to steer clear of the area for the time being.

The surrounding buildings were not evacuated and still remain open. MSU’s Environmental Health and Safety team and the East Lansing Fire Department tested the air quality of the area surrounding the leak to ensure that those in the buildings were not in danger.

Utility crews are on the scene for repairs.

Share and discuss “UPDATE: Campus gas leak has been repaired” on social media.