National signing day brings 22 new commitments for MSU football

<p>Head Coach Mark Dantonio looks back at the field before the start of the next play Nov. 22, 2014, during the game against Rutgers at Spartans Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 45-3. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Head Coach Mark Dantonio looks back at the field before the start of the next play Nov. 22, 2014, during the game against Rutgers at Spartans Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 45-3. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

On a day that brings a plethora of strain and tension, Mark Dantonio woke up feeling stress free.

“I wasn’t worried about anything,” Dantonio said Wednesday afternoon at the signing day press conference at Spartan Stadium. “No drama, it was nice.”

In fact, Dantonio was so carefree he allowed himself to pose for a picture during the day with his daughter.

It was an abnormal feeling for a head coach during a time where it would be his last opportunity to convince some of the nation’s top recruits to sign their National Letter of Intent with the Spartans.

However, there was no anxiety over whether or not a high school senior may flip his commitment with the university on National Signing Day for Dantonio, as all 21 commits submitted their letters.

This year’s 2015 recruiting class, which currently ranks 22nd in the nation and third in the Big Ten by 24/7 Sports, is the second consecutive year in which the Spartans have landed in the top 25.

The list includes players from different parts of the country, including Arizona, Utah, Florida and Virginia, giving credit to their recent bowl wins and multiple 10 win seasons to allow the program to become more of a national brand.

Where MSU currently sits in the final team rankings at the end of the process is recognized by Dantonio, but isn’t putting a whole lot of stock into it.

“The numbers really mean nothing, now the real work starts,” Dantonio said. “Now they have to start to really define themselves.”

Along with the 19 recruits who verbally committed with MSU, two more highly prolific athletes will spend their college career in East Lansing, an area of unfamiliarity.

Cassius Peat (AZ)and Mufi Hunt(UT), two pass rushers from the Southwest, were the last two recruits to join the class on Wednesday. Peat, who committed to UCLA back in October, flipped his decision after hearing offers from MSU and Arizona State.

Hunt, the 6-foot-6, 215-pound defensive end, won’t be on scholarship until 2017 when he officially joins the program, as he’ll be getting ready for a two-year long mission trip following his graduation.

“It will be my honor and privilege to fight alongside my brothers of Sparta,” Hunt said at his announcement ceremony at his high school. “I’ll be going to Michigan State.”

Even though the Spartans now have the ability to pick away at high school seniors from certain parts of the country, they have not forgotten where the basis of their recruiting begins in the Midwest.

Five of the top athletes in the state of Michigan will don the green-and-white next season, including a pair from Detroit Martin Luther King High School in linebacker Tyriq Thompson, the lone early enrollee of the class, and offensive guard Kyonta Stallworth.

Tyson Smith of St. Mary’s High School, Jackson Lumen Christi’s Khari Willis and two-time state champion Cole Chewins round out the local talent inside the mitten.

“He has great growth potential,” Dantonio said of Chewins, who will gray shirt next season. “He will be an outstanding player for us.”

Larry Scott, arguably the biggest standout for the MSU class, is one of five recruits who are based in Ohio, Mark Dantonio grew up and spent time as a defensive coordinator for Ohio State.

A four-star athlete and the sixth highest rated running back in the country by 24/7 sports, Scott never backed away from his commitment and plans on contending for the starting job to fill the void left by Jeremy Langford, despite holding offers from Alabama and Ohio State.

“There were a lot of people knocking on the door,” Dantonio said of Scott. “He never wavered once.”

When Dantonio concluded his opening statement inside the media room, the sheer excitement in his voice could be heard when he went into detail on his new batch of commits, stating that this may be the most talents recruiting class he’s ever had as head coach at MSU.

“We’re not selling hope here, we’re selling results,” Dantonio said.

Share and discuss “National signing day brings 22 new commitments for MSU football” on social media.