Trae Waynes to participate in all-star game challenge Friday

<p>Junior cornerback Trae Waynes walks during football practice April 8, 2014, at the practice field outside Duffy Daugherty Football Building. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Junior cornerback Trae Waynes walks during football practice April 8, 2014, at the practice field outside Duffy Daugherty Football Building. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Trae Waynes, the former MSU standout, will get another opportunity to further showcase his skills as a defensive back before the NFL Draft in the 2015 Quicken Loans All-Star Football Challenge. 

Scheduled to participate in the Hands Competition, Waynes is set to take on Landon Collins (Alabama) and Quinten Rollins (Miami OH.) on Friday, Jan. 30. The program will air on ESPN2 at 6 p.m. ET. 

Waynes, who finished tied for second in interceptions (three) for the Spartans this past season, received third-team All-America honors by the Associated Press while also becoming the third first-team All-Big Ten cornerback under head coach Mark Dantonio. 

Collins, who is currently projected by Bleacher Report to be taken off the board by the Chicago Bears with the seventh pick overall, finished with 87 total tackles last season, including three interceptions. While he's not considered to be the most productive safety in coverage, Collins is proficient in run defense while coming up to make the hard-nosed tackle. 

Rollins, who while ended his college football career by winning a mere two games this past season, was named the Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Year, after finishing with 72 tackles, seven interceptions, four tackles for loss, one forced fumble and nine pass breakups. 

Other individual events include QB Accuracy Competition, Lineman Strength Challenge, Obstacle Course and Speed Kick.

“We are extremely excited for this year’s All-Star Football Challenge because of the talented roster we have invited,” Intersport Vice President of Owned Properties Drew Russell said in a press release on Monday. “Each year we see an increase in the level of talent and we expect this year to set the standard. The production has become a staple for us as we continue to bring engaging experiences to very passionate fans.”

Penn State kicker Sam Ficken and Nebraska running back Ameer Abdullah, round out the group of three players who will represent the Big Ten later this week. It's tied with the Southeastern Conference for the highest amount of players from a single conference participating in the event. 

Share and discuss “Trae Waynes to participate in all-star game challenge Friday” on social media.