Sunday, May 5, 2024

MSU basketball spoils Russell Byrd's return in exhibition opener, 97-56

<p>Senior guard Travis Trice attempts to block the ball from Master's College guard Reid Shackelford Nov. 3, 2014, during the game at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Mustangs, 97-56. Raymond Williams/The State News</p>

Senior guard Travis Trice attempts to block the ball from Master's College guard Reid Shackelford Nov. 3, 2014, during the game at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Mustangs, 97-56. Raymond Williams/The State News

The men’s basketball team opened its exhibition season at home on Monday night, but a player on the opposing team stole the show.

MSU defeated The Master’s College and former Spartan Russell Byrd, 97-56.

“Tonight was just really special for me,” Byrd said. “It’s something I will always remember for the rest of my life, I love this program.”

The Santa Clarita, Calif. native began the game by kissing the Spartan logo at half court, which is customary for seniors playing their final game at the Breslin Center.

“He was a heck of a leader,” head coach Tom Izzo said. “It was nice Russ had a good game.”

It was Byrd’s first game in a Mustangs uniform since transferring to the Christian liberal arts college in Santa Clarita, Calif. The three-year letter-winner finished with 22 points, five rebounds and four assists.

“It was really fun to be back here with these people,” Byrd said.

There was a slight scare when Byrd bumped into the scorer’s table towards the end of the game, but the senior guard said it was nothing more than a sprained ankle.

“I almost died when I thought (Byrd) hurt his knee there,” Izzo said.

After a sluggish start in the first eight minutes of play where MSU trailed by as many as six points, the Spartans climbed back into the game using its fast break offense and 3-point shooting to take the lead.

Leading the 3-point barrage was junior guard Bryn Forbes, who came off the bench to nail a trio of 3-pointers in the first half.

Forbes had 14 points on 4-of-7 shooting beyond the arc.

Senior forward Branden Dawson also joined Forbes with double figures in the first half, totaling 11 points and six rebounds in the first twenty minutes.

However, Izzo was more concerned with his team’s play on the defensive side of the ball.

“I wasn’t pleased with our defense,” Izzo said. “It just wasn’t very good.”

Izzo let his starters play extended minutes in the second half, allowing MSU to stretch its lead.

Four of the Spartans starting five: Dawson, senior guard Travis Trice, sophomore guard Alvin Ellis III and junior guard Denzel Valentine scored in double figures.

“Valentine was unbelievable,” Izzo said. “I thought Dawson played very well in the first half and look disinterested in the second half.”

Valentine had a game-high 24 points on 9/14 shooting in 29 minutes of play. Dawson finished with 15 points and nine rebounds.

Dawson knows his team will look to him for continued consistent play this season.

“It’s a huge adjustment being that we lost (Adreian Payne) and Gary (Harris),” Dawson said. “I can’t take chances like I did last year.”

Junior forward Colby Wollenman, the other starter, had zero points and two rebounds in five minutes of play.

Izzo said Wollenman got the start over Costello for academic reasons.

“This year I’m going to make sure I get everything straightened out,” Izzo said. “I’m going to nip some things in the bud, I’m tired of guys not doing what they’re supposed to do.”

MSU will host one more exhibition game on Friday night against St. Cloud State.

“We got a lot of things to work on,” Izzo said. “We played decent.”

Share and discuss “MSU basketball spoils Russell Byrd's return in exhibition opener, 97-56” on social media.