MSU announces plans for Munn Ice Arena renovations

With the hockey season right around the corner, MSU made a splash on Wednesday announcing a renovation project of Munn Ice Arena that will include new theatrical lighting, high-definition video boards, LED ribbon boards and more.

“As Munn Ice Arena approaches on its 40th anniversary, we’re excited to announce the upcoming improvements that will significantly enhance both the fan and student-athlete experience immediately,” MSU Athletic Director Mark Hollis said in a press release. “Our goal is for Munn Ice Arena to represent a tribute to Michigan State’s rich hockey past and a commitment its future.”

The project will start this upcoming season and is the latest addition of a complete building renovation. Also part of the current renovation plans is new seat chairbacks, new concourse decor and dressing room decor. The project will be funded by private support and be finished within the next 12 months.

The announced renovations of Munn Ice Arena are just the latest addition of the complete project. During the offseason, MSU upgraded its building’s HVAC systems, ice surface, dasher boards and glass, with that project coming in at more than $6 million. Before the 2013-14 season MSU also improved its lighting with a new energy-efficient LED lighting system that cost $575,000.

The latest additions to MSU’s home arena is something head coach Tom Anastos is excited about and considers it a stepping stone in regaining a prestigious title for Spartan hockey.

“These initial upgrades demonstrate yet another example of the commitment to Spartan hockey by our athletics department, alums and supporters,” Anastos said in a press release. “The immediate enhancements are part of a broader plan for Munn Ice Arena that will ensure it continues to be one of the marque college hockey venues in the country. It’s an exciting time for everyone involved with Spartan hockey.”

Share and discuss “MSU announces plans for Munn Ice Arena renovations” on social media.