MSU student convicted after participation in Cedar Village revelry

<p>Students gather in the streets of Cedar Village after an <span class="caps">MSU</span> victory in the Big Ten Championship game on Dec. 8, 2013. The police and fire department responded to multiple fires across East Lansing.</p>

Students gather in the streets of Cedar Village after an MSU victory in the Big Ten Championship game on Dec. 8, 2013. The police and fire department responded to multiple fires across East Lansing.

Nutritional sciences sophomore Jared Scott Dubay, pictured above, was found guilty of two disorderly conduct charges in 54B District Court on Wednesday as a result of his participation in the Dec. 8, 2013 revelry in Cedar Village. The charges, including assembling to riot and remaining within 300 feet of a fire, are punishable by up to 90 days in jail.

Andrew Abood, Dubay's attorney, said the conviction was "a terrible injustice."

"If you were to get charged under this ordinance with regard to the open fire, you wouldn't get the type of penalty that is being imposed on these students," Abood said. "These people are obviously trying to send a message... But we should all have an obligation to students to do something other than lock them up and throw away the key."

Because Dubay did not take a plea deal and had a trial by jury, Abood said Dubay will likely face a harsh penalty.

Dubay is one of the 28 people who have been charged with offenses related to the Big Ten Championship revelries, which followed MSU's win over Ohio State. Most of the disturbances took place in Cedar Village, which was estimated to have incurred damages costing between $5,000 and $10,000.

East Lansing Police Detective Sgt. Andrew Bouck said 19 people were arrested the night of and nine others were arrested as a result of the investigation. Bouck said police are sending a clear message with the arrests that civil disturbances are criminal and those involved will be prosecuted.

"(With the) not-so-good history we have of reoccurring civil disturbances, when we do convict some one of a riot related offense, it's criminal," Bouck said. "These aren't just celebrations. It's something we aren't going to tolerate."

Dubay previously had appeared in a State News photograph from the disturbance, shirtless and holding a torch. Although he was arrested that night, police distributed the photo in an attempt to identify Dubay, not realizing he had already been arrested, Bouck said.

Dubay is scheduled to be sentenced June 18.

Share and discuss “MSU student convicted after participation in Cedar Village revelry” on social media.