Riley Bullough finds home at linebacker for MSU football, again

As a linebacker-turned-running-back-turned-linebacker again, he knows the ins and outs of both the offense and defense.

That gave him the edge over junior quarterback Connor Cook during a spring practice, as Bullough picked off a low-thrown ball that Cook might have been trying to get rid of.

Of course, as a former member of the offense, Bullough recognized the play call. The next step was getting into position.

“He hears ... “Screen, screen, screen!’” Cook said. ”(I) throw it, he picks it off and he’s running down the sideline saying ‘I knew the play! I knew the play!’”

Following a season that saw Bullough slip out of the rotation as a converted running back, he’s back to his original position at linebacker, head coach Mark Dantonio said at Tuesday’s practice.

He’s receiving reps at the strong-side position instead of middle linebacker, where he was listed heading into spring camp. Because of Bullough not playing the linebacker spot since the first half of spring camp last April, Dantonio expects a transition period for the sophomore.

“He makes plays, but he’s a young player, so consistency is the issue, because you see a lot of different things, formations, adjustments and those type of things,” Dantonio said. “I always think when you put together different defenses, things start to add up and so you gotta be able to play things out.”

Bullough said despite being a former member of the offense and knowing many of the calls, the transition to defense isn’t as easy as one might assume.

“It’s a little harder than you think,” he said. “I hardly ever know what the offense is running because I’m making calls. But when I do catch on, it is kinda fun.”

Bullough said he realized he was better suited for the linebacker position last October, when senior running back Jeremy Langford took hold of the No. 1 spot following a 109 yard, four-touchdown performance against Indiana in week six.

Bullough said the breakout performance was an eye-opener for him and his role.

“I kinda thought ‘I probably should be on defense,’” Bullough said. “I think that’s what the coaches thought. We had so many great guys on defense last year, there was really no need to bring me back at that point until the bowl game, which was smart.

“Once Jeremy caught on, I mean he’s a thousand times better runner than I’ll ever be so I understand why he was playing in front of me.”

Share and discuss “Riley Bullough finds home at linebacker for MSU football, again” on social media.