Monday, July 28, 2014

Touted football recruit McDowell signs, sends in letter of intent to MSU

After a long, drawn-out wait, Spartan fans can finally rest easy after class of 2014 defensive lineman Malik McDowell announced he signed his national letter of intent with MSU.

The 5-star recruit made the announcement on his Twitter account this morning and finally put to rest the long saga that was his recruitment process.

The Southfield High School senior was in the middle of a recruiting controversy after announcing he would attend MSU on national signing day, but his parents had other ideas.

According to reports, McDowell's mom would not agree to sign the letter of intent. His father agreed, but was reluctant and both parents publicly stated they wanted their son to attend college out of state.

McDowell had offers from top programs across the country, including national champions Florida State, Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State and many others. McDowell took official visits to all of those schools except Michigan.

McDowell figures to make an impact on the defenisve line early for head coach Mark Dantonio and defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi. He is projected to play defensive end to start, but could move inside because of his size (6'6, 290 pounds). 

McDowell also is one of five defensive linemen the Spartans signed in the class of 2014.