Michigan State University's Independent Voice Since 1909, East Lansing, MI

State News Logo

Monday, March 30, 2015

  • Facebook Logo
  • Twitter Logo
  • RSS Feed Logo
  • Email Signup Logo

UConn knocks off MSU in Elite Eight


Senior guard Keith Appling reacts to a foul called against him towards the end of the game against Connecticut on March 30, 2014, at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The Spartans lost in the Elite Eight, 60-54. Julia Nagy/The State News

NEW YORK — It’s been said over and over again – this MSU team has never been to a Final Four.

They were 40 minutes away from one on Sunday in “the city that never sleeps,” but MSU said goodnight to their season as they fell 60-54 at the hands of UConn.

It’s been the theme of the year, but Adreian Payne, Keith Appling and Dan Chapman are the first senior class never to reach a Final Four under head coach Tom Izzo.

While Izzo said the streak “doesn’t mean anything” to him, a quiet Appling said it was tough to see it come to an end.

“The Final Four, that meant a lot to me and my teammates,” Appling said his face in his hands. “For us to come up short and have an opportunity to come so close, it just hurts so bad.”

In the end, it was the Spartans who robbed themselves of a trip to the Final Four. MSU tallied 16 turnovers, but the way that number soared happened in a fluky way.

Appling let a ball slip through his hands and go out of bounds on a routine inbounds play. Some passes were to the cameramen out of bounds. A few times, MSU just fell asleep and lazily gave the ball away.

“Those turnovers definitely cost us,” sophomore guard Gary Harris said.

Other than Harris, who led the Spartans with 22 points, the offense couldn’t get anything going. In the first 30 minutes of the game, only three Spartans scored from the field. Payne and junior forward Branden Dawson were locked down in the post, evidenced by MSU’s six points in the paint.

The clog inside caused MSU to fire off 29 3-pointers, but the 11 that fell through weren't enough to help MSU make the trip to Texas.

“They definitely tried to force me out and to take jump shots,” Payne said. “They did a great job in the post of sending backside help. So it was kind of hard to get the ball down low.”

For UConn, it was guard Shabazz Napier who sparked the Huskies’ offense with 25 points to help them cut down the nets.

“He wasn't going to let his team lose,” Harris said. “He was the one making the big plays for them at the end of the stretch, and that's why he's such a great player ... because you could just see by playing against him, he's a winner and he willed his team to victory.”

MSU started the game by watching the Huskies take an early 12-2 lead, but the Spartans clawed their way back into it. Hot shooting from senior forward Adreian Payne closed the gap, but it was Harris’ 3-pointer that gave MSU their first lead of the game, 22-21.

The Spartans silenced the UConn-heavy crowd early on in the second half by taking a 32-23 lead. From the looks of it, it was all MSU for the rest of the game.

Until UConn rallied behind the crowd to go on a 12-0 run to take a 35-32 lead with 10:23 left on the clock.

It didn’t end there, as three minutes later, sophomore guard Denzel Valentine was easily pick-pocketed by Uconn’s Niles Giffey for a fastbreak dunk to take a seven-point lead.

It was all but settled from there.

MSU got close, bringing the game to within two points after Adreian Payne hit two free throws with a minute to go.

However, senior guard Keith Appling fouled Napier on an attempted 3-pointer with 31 seconds left. Napier hit all three shots, and iced the game after three made free throws.

Appling ended his career fouling out with two points, four turnovers and the foul to allow UConn to seal the game.

Payne finished his career with 13 points on 4-of-14 shooting and nine rebounds.

Chapman scored the final points of the season on a banked 3-pointer with one second on the clock.

Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The State News.