Hockey loses in OT in Big Ten tourney, ending season

It appeared the hockey gods were shining bright on MSU hockey on Thursday night against Ohio State.

But 4:23 into overtime, it was Ohio State, not MSU, that struck for the game-winner to end the Spartans' season with a 2-1 defeat.

Ohio State freshman defenseman Drew Brevig put a wrist shot past sophomore goaltender Jake Hildebrand in overtime to send Ohio State to the inaugural Big Ten Tournament semifinals.

The goal came off a mad scramble in front of the net where Hildebrand made multiple saves before the puck popped out to Brevig at the right circle. The goal was reviewed, but upheld, ending MSU’s season in a heartbreaking fashion.

Assistant coach Tom Newton said afterward that MSU had an opportunity to get the puck out of the defensive zone before the game-winner, but came up short.

“They hemmed us in, we had a couple opportunities to gloss it into neutral zone, but didn't get it there,” Newton told Spartan Sports Network.

It was the fourth time this season that MSU and Ohio State needed extra time to decide the winner.

MSU struck first only 4:04 into the game on a senior forward Greg Wolfe goal. Fellow senior forward Lee Reimer created a turnover before Ohio State could break it out of the zone. He able to pass it to Wolfe. From there Wolfe puck it glove side high to give MSU the early 1-0 advantage.

The Wolfe goal was the lone goal in the first period.

After numerous opportunities in the second period, Ohio State finally broke through to tie the game late in the frame. Junior forward Tanner Fritz scored with only 3:34 left in the second period. The goal came on a rebound off a shot from senior defenseman Curtis Gedig, sending the game tied into the third period.

The third period was scoreless with both teams coming up short on the power play in the final five minutes of the game.

Hildebrand finished with 32 saves on the night. It was the fourth straight time that Hildebrand kept the highly ranked Buckeye offense to two goals or less.

Ohio State will now move on to the semifinals against No. 1 Minnesota tomorrow evening. That game will begin at 8 p.m. and will be broadcasted on Big Ten Network.

Following the loss, Newton said the future is bright for MSU and wanted the seniors to know they were the beginning of a bright future on the banks of the Red Cedar River.

“Thank you to our seniors who have dedicated themselves and really have been an important part of the resurrection of Michigan State hockey,” Newton told Spartan Sports Network. “When we hang a banner, and it won't be too far away from us, (they’ll) be a part of it.”

Share and discuss “Hockey loses in OT in Big Ten tourney, ending season ” on social media.