Fashion show showcases student talents

None of the pieces are on the racks of typical clothing stores - they looked more like walking artwork and were made of materials that ranged from paper to chains.

One model walking the runway wore a stoic expression as she posed for the audience gathered in the Wharton Center’s Pasant Theatre . All eyes were glued to her dress, a piece called “Flip Cup” that was comprised entirely of red Solo cup

A separate table was also set up that sported various accessories such as a headpiece made entirely out of the pages of books.

The 42  designers who participated in the show put anywhere from a few weeks to several months of work into their designs.

Shannon Gillespie , an apparel and textile design senior and the senior director of the show, said preparation for this year’s show started last year.

The show was held from 7-9 p.m. , but the day began much earlier for everyone involved. Models arrived as early as 9 a.m. f or makeup, fittings and hairstyling.

“I’m mostly worried about falling on my face,” said public relations junior Stephanie Kus , who modeled in the show for the first time.

Apparel and textile design senior Allie Werner  said she was proud of the unconventional material she used for her piece, “Caged.” The lights dimmed when the model sporting the design took the stage and the area was instead illuminated by lights strung along the piece.

“It was originally inspired by the Eiffel Tower,” Werner said.

The evening came to an end when the three staff judges and one guest judge, Target’s design director Karen Rasmussen gave the four awards: the judge’s choice, innovative design, conceptual design and best in show.

Apparel and textile design junior Katie Raynard’s  piece, “Wind Power,” earned the award for conceptual design.

“I wasn’t expecting to win,” she said. “There were so many good designs. It was very cool to win an award.”

Gillespie had four designs in the show herself.

“I think it’s really important to see the students’ work,” Gillespie said. “It’s important to spread fashion.”

Share and discuss “Fashion show showcases student talents” on social media.