No. 8 Wisconsin sweeps MSU hockey

MSU failed to find the back of the net on Saturday afternoon, falling for the second straight night to No. 8 Wisconsin, 2-0, at the Kohl Center in Madison, Wis. Saturday’s loss was the fifth time this season MSU was shut out.

Wisconsin scored both of its goals on the power play, while MSU was 0-5 in its power play opportunities. Wisconsin finished with four power play goals in the two-game series.

MSU’s closest chance to scoring came in the first period when sophomore forward Matt DeBlouw scored on a Spartan power play, but the goal was waved off.

Despite giving up two goals, sophomore goaltender Jake Hildebrand had another strong showing, finishing with 28 saves.

Junior forward Joseph LaBate scored the first Badger goal, sending a slapshot past Hildebrand 7:17 into the game. The shot came from just inside the Spartan blueline, but hit off a few Spartan defenders before deflecting past Hildebrand.

Sophomore defenseman Kevin Schulze and senior defenseman Frankie Simonelli had assists on the goal.

It appeared MSU tied the game only four minutes later on a power play goal by sophomore forward Matt DeBlouw, but the goal was waved off after further review. The play was originally ruled a goal, but the officials determined senior forward Lee Reimer was in the crease and interfered with Badger junior goaltender Joel Rumpel.

MSU failed to score on the rest of the power play, entering the first intermission trailing 1-0.

The Badgers would add to the lead only 4:23 into the second period on another power play goal. Senior forward Michael Mersch scored his third goal of the weekend, this one a one-timer in the slot that trickled past the goal line.

Senior forwards Mark Zengerle and Tyler Barnes had assists on the play.

MSU would have a handful of scoring chances in the second period, but failed to put one past Rumpel.

There was no scoring in the third period for either team. Like the second period, MSU had multiple scoring chances but failed to pop one in.

MSU will return to the ice next Saturday in an exhibition U.S. National Development Program Under-18 team. Faceoff is set for 7 p.m. and can be seen on Fox Sports Detroit Plus.

L

Share and discuss “No. 8 Wisconsin sweeps MSU hockey” on social media.