No. 1 Minnesota beats MSU hockey, 1-0

MSU failed to find the back of the net on Saturday evening in a close 1-0 loss to No. 1 Minnesota at Mariucci Arena in Minneapolis. The loss was the fourth time MSU has been shutout on the season.

Minnesota junior forward Kyle Rau was the lone scorer on the night, with his first period goal holding up as the game-winner.

It appeared Minnesota would kick off the scoring only 2:29 into the first period, but MSU junior forward Brent Darnell was there to keep the game a scoreless tie.

Minnesota sophomore forward Ryan Reilly crashed the net, with the puck slipping past sophomore goaltender Jake Hildebrand, sliding to the goal line before Darnell slapped it away.

The play originally was ruled a goal, but was overturned after officials viewed the replays.

MSU was granted a second life after the first Golden Gopher goal was overturned, but it didn’t take long before Minnesota struck again. In a madhouse in front of the net, Rau scored on a rebound shot from the point. The puck bounced off Hildebrand’s pads and over his right shoulder into the back of the net.

Sophomore defenseman Mike Reilly and freshman forward Hudson Fasching had assists on the play.

Despite only trailing 1-0, the first period couldn’t end any sooner for MSU. Minnesota dominated the flow of the game, racking up 17 shots in the opening period.

The Spartans came out harder in the second period, generating more scoring chances but failed to get anything past Golden Gopher sophomore goaltender Adam Wilcox.

Hildebrand made 13 more saves to keep MSU down only one goal heading into the final 20 minutes of regulation.

MSU had more scoring chances in the third period, but like the second couldn’t find the back of the net.

Hildebrand had another outstanding outing with 37 saves. Hildebrand held the top five-ranked offense of Minnesota to only three goals in the two game series.

Minnesota doubled MSU in shots, outshooting MSU 38-19 on the evening.

Sophomore forward Michael Ferrantino’s four-game scoring streak came to an end in the loss.

MSU will be back on the ice next Friday against Ohio State at Munn Ice Arena. The game starts at 6:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “No. 1 Minnesota beats MSU hockey, 1-0” on social media.