Stars to show down

Aaron Craft, Keith Appling set to duel again in key MSU-OSU game

<p>Junior guard Keith Appling plays defense against Ohio State guard Aaron Craft on Jan. 19, 2013, at Breslin Center.  Adam Toolin/The State News</p>

Junior guard Keith Appling plays defense against Ohio State guard Aaron Craft on Jan. 19, 2013, at Breslin Center. Adam Toolin/The State News

Photo by Adam Toolin | The State News

When Big Ten basketball fans hear “Ohio State,” most of them will immediately think of senior point guard Aaron Craft, who has been pestering opponents for the last four years.

Much hasn’t changed, as the floor general of the No. 3 team in the nation is a key component in OSU’s suffocating defense, which has held its opponents to 36.9 percent shooting on the season.

It will undoubtedly be the biggest challenge for No. 5 MSU and senior guard Keith Appling to date, with Craft helping OSU to force a turnover on 22.3 percent of their opponents’ possessions.

While the two have traded good and poor performances over the years, Craft is the one that holds the bragging rights over Appling, as he held the MSU guard to three points on 1-of-6 shooting in a 68-60 loss on Feb. 24, 2013. In return, Craft poured salt in the wound by filling the hoop with 21 points and dishing out six assists.

-Matt Sheehan

Aaron Craft

Height: 6’2”

Weight: 195

2013-14 PPG: 9.3

Field goal percentage: 48.4

Steals: 37

Assists per game: 4.9

Turnovers: 27

Rebounds per game: 3.5

Best skill: Craft might be the smartest point guard in the Big Ten, and his defense is a huge reason why OSU is holding its opponents to the third-lowest point total in the country, with 54.9.

Keith Appling

Height: 6’1”

Weight: 185

2013-14 PPG: 15.6

Field goal percentage: 50.3

Steals: 14

Assists per game: 4.6

Turnovers: 24

Rebounds per game: 3.3

Best skill: His 3-point shooting, which is at 47.2 percent — more than 15 percent higher than last season.

Share and discuss “Stars to show down” on social media.