ESPN's College GameDay electrifies Breslin Center

<p><span class="caps">ESPN</span> sports analysts Jalen Rose, left, and Digger Phelps laugh during the show Jan. 25, 2014, at <span class="caps">ESPN</span>&#8217;s &#8220;College GameDay&#8221; at Breslin Center. The event was centered around the Michigan/Michigan State rivalry and their game that night. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

ESPN sports analysts Jalen Rose, left, and Digger Phelps laugh during the show Jan. 25, 2014, at ESPN’s “College GameDay” at Breslin Center. The event was centered around the Michigan/Michigan State rivalry and their game that night. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

The Breslin Center was electric nearly ten hours before tip-off as ESPN’s College GameDay returned to East Lansing for the first time since 2011.

The frigid temperatures outside didn’t keep Mike Kaminski from making an early trip to the Breslin Center.

The environmental engineering junior, with no relation to redshirt freshman guard Kenny Kaminski, was there with his friend to take in the atmosphere and get ready for tonight’s game against arch-rival Michigan.

“We come to every game, we’re front row every game,” Kaminski said. “I’m impressed there’s this many people here this early. It’s freezing.”

Students that attend GameDay get a wristband that allows them to enter the Breslin Center for the game tonight a half hour early, which was one of the main reasons, Kaminski showed up.

Members of the Izzone were entertained by Reece Davis, Jalen Rose, Digger Phelps and Jay Bilas.

Rose, a Michigan grad, was heckled every time he spoke.

When he missed the rim on a half court shot at the end of the show, the crowd chanted “Air ball.”

Former Spartan greats Mateen Cleaves and Morris Peterson joined senior guard Keith Appling, senior forward Adreian Payne and sophomore guard Gary Harris.

Head coach Tom Izzo joined the set just before noon to share his take on the game and the rivalry.

Izzo famously said that MSU hates U-M and U-M hates MSU, but he took it to a whole new level today.

“It’s a a hated rivalry, it’s supposed to be,” Izzo said. “You can respect your rival, but you can’t like ‘em, it’s just un-American.

His response was followed by the Izzone canting “USA! USA!”

In the end, Bilas, Phelps and even Rose picked the Spartans to come out on top against the Wolverines.

Kaminski agreed with the analysts, and said maybe even the player with his namesake can step up in the absence of other Spartans.

“We’re definitely going to win,” Kaminski said. “I’m very confident in our team. We’ve got a couple guys hurt, but we’ll still win.”

Share and discuss “ESPN's College GameDay electrifies Breslin Center ” on social media.