Women's basketball loses to FSU, drops two straight

A Chris Webber-esque technical ultimately sealed a second straight loss for the women’s basketball team against Florida State on the road.

Down 56-55 with 27 seconds on the clock, senior forward Annalise Pickrel snagged an offensive board and called a panicked timeout as the Seminoles tried to force her out of bounds. One problem — the Spartans were out of timeouts.

The technical helped Florida State escape with a 60-58 win, dropping the Spartans to 5-3 overall. The Seminoles improved to 7-1.

The win is the first for Florida State over MSU and drops the Spartans to 4-3 overall in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. The program’s 4-2 record before the game was tied for best in the Big Ten with Michigan.

Pickrel had two late 3’s that brought the Spartans within one from a 56-52 deficit with 1:49 left in the game. She finished with 20 points and nine rebounds.

Redshirt freshman forward Aerial Powers had a double-double with 19 points and 11 rebounds. Freshman guard Tori Janikoska, who got the starting nod over junior guard Kiana Johnson, had six points and two assists.

Leading 25-21 at halftime, the Seminoles took the lead with an 13-4 run to start the second half. Senior guard Klarissa Bell drained a three to tie the score, 35-35. Redshirt freshman Brandais Agee hit a layup on the next possession to give the Spartans a two point lead.

Brittany Brown hit a layup with just over eight minutes left to reclaim the lead for Florida State, 44-43. Jankoska tied the game at 46-46, but Morgan Jones split at the line to give Florida State a one point lead.

Down 56-49 with 2:49 on the clock, Jankoska nailed two 3’s. But it was too late, and the Seminoles held the lead until the end, surviving the Spartan’s late comeback attempt. Bell drained a meaningless 3-pointer at the end to make the score more respectable.

The Spartans have now lost two-straight after falling to IPFW at home on Sunday. MSU won’t play again until Dec. 15, when they take on Oakland at Breslin Center.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball loses to FSU, drops two straight ” on social media.