MSU volleyball beats Northwestern, loses to Illinois

Moster becomes MSU's all-time digs leader

<p>Moster</p>

Moster

Photo by Matthew Mitchell | The State News

Junior libero Kori Moster entered the Spartan record books last Friday.

With 24 digs in the team’s 3-1 victory over Northwestern, Moster topped former MSU volleyball outside hitter Veronica Morales to become MSU’s all-time digs leader.

Moster ranks 22nd all-time in the Big Ten in digs with 1,516.

As a junior, there’s plenty more volleyball to be played. There are six remaining games in the 2013-14 season.

The Spartans (19-7 overall, 8-6 Big Ten) went 1-1 on the road over the weekend. Following the win over Northwestern (14-12 overall, 6-8 Big Ten), they fell to Illinois (12-12 overall, 8-6 Big Ten) in four sets (19-25, 25-21, 17-25, 19-25).

Senior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski had 17 kills, four blocks, three aces and eight digs in the win over Northwestern. Freshman Allyssah Fitterer had 12 kills and two digs and hit .786, and senior middle blocker Alexis Mathews had nine kills and four blocks.

MSU lost the first set, 26-24. Both teams were tied at 12 and swapped leads down the stretch. Tied at 24, Northwestern scored a kill and an MSU attack error sealed it.

The Spartans bounced back to take the next three sets.

The second set was close, but MSU was able to close it out after leading 23-20 to win, 25-21.

The third set was much easier. MSU held a 10-4 lead early and closed the set on a 10-3 run to win, 25-13.

MSU put the nail in the coffin with a 25-14 set four win. The opened with a 12-4 lead and never looked back.

MSU lost Saturday’s game against Illinois in four sets (19-25, 25-21, 17-25, 19-25).

Wicinski had 17 kills, six digs and four blocks. Mathews had eight blocks and six kills.

Fitterer continued her strong play, posting 15 kills. Moster had 24 digs and eight assists.

Senior setter Kristen Kelsay had 23 assists and eight digs, and sophomore setter Halle Peterson had 20 assists and a season-high 11 digs.

Illinois controlled the first set, leading it 10-6 and later increasing it to 17-11. MSU cut the lead to 20-18 late, but Illinois came back strong to win, 25-19.

MSU bounced back in the second set, leading 12-3 early. Illinois came back strong, going on a run to cut the lead to 15-11. MSU held on however, winning the second set 25-21.

Both teams were evenly matched early in the third set, but Illinois regained its swagger. They scored nine straight to blow the lead open, and weathered a Spartan comeback to win 25-17.

Illinois finished the match in the fourth set, winning 25-19.

MSU trailed 12-6, but went on a 4-1 run to narrow the score. Both teams went back and forth, but Illinois used another run to increase the lead to 22-16. They held on to win the match.

The Spartans will return to action Friday, when they take on Nebraska and Iowa on the road.

Share and discuss “MSU volleyball beats Northwestern, loses to Illinois ” on social media.